Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Sad Times and a funny story...

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

This weekend, 4 years ago, my dad passed away after a long illness. . I cant believe its been 4 years. anyway, last weekend, I saw a friend of his at a lacrosse game and we were talking about him. he basically told me what an effect my dad had on his life. My dad coached him in baseball from age 15 through his 40's. he introduced him to his wife, was in the wedding party, and was one of his closest firends. Anyway, we were telling stories and this one I had never heard before, I thought I'd share.

In the 80's, My dad was player/Manager of a baseball team that was playing at Seamans neck park against thier biggest rival team. there was history and these teams didnt like each other at all.. my dad was gonna pitch the second game of the double header, so he was on the bench. 3rd inning, our # 4 hitter gets beaned by thier pitcher. the guys on the bench were saying to our pitcher that he has to drill someone in the head on thier team to get them back. MY dad stands up in the dugout and says, "guys, thats bush league, you dont hit guys in the head, thats BS and I dont think hitting a guy in the head should be part of baseball, take care of it"... smile.gif so, after the third out, the pitchers goes through his warm ups and and is ready to throw the first pitch of the inning, and my dad calls time out, runs out to the mound, whispers something to the pitcher and comes back to the dugout.. First pitch, the pitcher drills the guy right under the ear flap on the helment. my dads buddy (the guy I met at the lacrosse game above) leans over and says to my dad, "I thought you told him not to hit him in the head". MY dad leans back and dead pans "I told him not to him in the head, but the necks okay". LOL

I miss him everyday. and now, with kids, I realize how much he did for me when I younger. Of course, I didnt realize how difficult it is/was to be a parent. Dropping off, at practice, friends house, the park, lessons, etc etc etc. Always being there, the repsonsibility, etc..

I just wanted to say thanks dad, I miss you!!

BC

Nice story.

My dad has been gone for 23 years. Still seems like not that long ago I sat down with a few cold ones with him.

The heartache never goes away.frown.gif

View PostI realize how much he did for me when I younger. Of course, I didnt realize how difficult it is/was to be a parent. Dropping off, at practice, friends house, the park, lessons, etc etc etc. Always being there, the repsonsibility, etc..

Classic. Where was your Dad after Piazza got beaned? He must have flipped.

BC, I'm in the same boat, not realizing how difficultl it is being a parent, and the sacrifices you have to make. I appreciateit more and more now that my Dad is retired (forcefully after being laid off), and is 65, I am finally catching on that he & my Mom are officially old, and arent' going to be around forever. One of the best things to happen in my life, was getting laid off in August adn startign my own business. It is going to give me teh time I never had to do stuff with my parents - like fishing much more often than 2-3 times a year. Whether I do well or flop, I won't really care, because I will be able to at least spend more time with my parents now, before they are unable to get out and fish etc.

Good story, nice touchat the end. Thanks for the PM.