Followers 0
Envy69

Need Help On Staten Island?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

KISS principle: Don't buy anything expensive upfront

Bombers

Bucktials

Big Swimming plugs (Dannys, Atom 40, etc)

Pencil Poppers

Good quality rod and reel (Lamiglas is preffred)

Most of these things you can buy from people right on this site.

Like he said above, buy Z's book-both of them and you'll learn quie a bit. Also, try to make some new friends, it will be easier when they show you how its done.

A few must have plugs on S.I. are a Storm Chug Bug, a Tsunami Talking Popper in Electric Schoolbus, A cotton Cordell Pencil Popper, a Saltwater Zara Spook, A chicken scratch Mambo Minnow, a Cotton Cordell Red Fin,Some 9" sluggos this is a partial list you can p.m me if you want specific colors and sizes.

Alot of the areas that youll fish from shore from, you will need waders if you are plugging. I use 2 rods, 7.5 and a 9 foot rod. On the 7 foot rod I use a vs100 and a 150 on the 9 foot. Reason being, you will be up to your waist fishing most of the time and no other reel and handle that type of fishing(unless you want to get a Penn Z reel and do the mantainance).

Ill be back to surffishing more this year, I hope. Maybe see you out there, with the rest of the guys.

With all the Mullet I see around I'ed be using RedFins and Mombos along with a teaser.

Rick I will take that under advisement. Miss ya pal! Hope you are gettin some albies!

IMHO bait is the way to go. And good bait at that. There is so much bait around staten island at this time of the year its hard to get a fish to take an artificial. I tend to find that artificials work best if you are going for blues and they don't want bait. Maybe because they just don't want to eat a stationary chunk with so many fish swimming around? But that might just be me.

KISS principle: Don't buy anything expensive upfront

Bombers

Bucktials

Big Swimming plugs (Dannys, Atom 40, etc)

Pencil Poppers

Good quality rod and reel (Lamiglas is preffred)

Most of these things you can buy from people right on this site.

Like he said above, buy Z's book-both of them and you'll learn quie a bit. Also, try to make some new friends, it will be easier when they show you how its done.

+1 he's right no need to spend to much to surf fish Good luck