Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thresher1

Jim Cramer vs. Jon Stewart

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

Anyone else just catch the interview on the Daily Show?

Yeesh...........to me, Stewart just took it right to both Kramer and CNBC.

I'm curious to know what the fiscal sharpies here think.

Okay, I just watched it. Yes Dan, this was a face to face interview that was taped earlier in the day.

First, let me say I'm not a financial guy so I didn't understand everything. I feel as though understood enough. Also, I like Jon Stewart. I like The Daily Show for the most part.

I have mixed feelings on this interview. I feel like Jon Stewart ambushed Jim Cramer. Let's face it, the majority of The Daily Show episodes are comical views on politics. This was one of the few episodes that I can remember that Jon Stewart played his role pretty straight. The only other episode I can think of offhand was the episode right after 9/11. Now, I understand the importance of playing this interview straight but I'm not sure how aware Jim Cramer was about how this interview would play out. Giving The Daily Show track record, I don't know how I would see an interview.

Stewart hammered Cramer pretty hard. I don't watch CNBC but it seems like, according to what I saw, that the station allowed a lot of major warning signs slip through the cracks and this has damaged their journalistic credibility a great deal. I'm not a reporter. I have no journalist classes under my belt but I believe when you're hosting an interview, you need to check some sources.

It was made pretty clear that Cramer and CNBC does not have the common man's interest in mind when making a show. The idea that so many warning signs could slip through the cracks with no fact checking doesn't sit well with me.

Like I said, I'm not a financial guy. Maybe I didn't see it right but that's what it looked like to me.

View PostOkay, I just watched it. Yes Dan, this was a face to face interview that was taped earlier in the day.

First, let me say I'm not a financial guy so I didn't understand everything. I feel as though understood enough. Also, I like Jon Stewart. I like The Daily Show for the most part.

I have mixed feelings on this interview. I feel like Jon Stewart ambushed Jim Cramer. Let's face it, the majority of The Daily Show episodes are comical views on politics. This was one of the few episodes that I can remember that Jon Stewart played his role pretty straight. The only other episode I can think of offhand was the episode right after 9/11. Now, I understand the importance of playing this interview straight but I'm not sure how aware Jim Cramer was about how this interview would play out. Giving The Daily Show track record, I don't know how I would see an interview.

Stewart hammered Cramer pretty hard. I don't watch CNBC but it seems like, according to what I saw, that the station allowed a lot of major warning signs slip through the cracks and this has damaged their journalistic credibility a great deal. I'm not a reporter. I have no journalist classes under my belt but I believe when you're hosting an interview, you need to check some sources.

It was made pretty clear that Cramer and CNBC does not have the common man's interest in mind when making a show. The idea that so many warning signs could slip through the cracks with no fact checking doesn't sit well with me.

Like I said, I'm not a financial guy. Maybe I didn't see it right but that's what it looked like to me.

I do not, and will not feel bad for Cramer. I might have felt bad, until i saw the video of him talking about manipulating the market. No shame, no apologizes, not guilt...just straight up greed.

Cramer should have stayed FAR away from the Daily Show. He knew full well what he was walking into (stewart was rolling him for DAYS, Cramer went on Morning Joe and Good Morning America yesterday morning), but his pride made him go. His ego told him he would be able to slither away from Stewart.

But he will not be able to get out of the way of this freight train...his own words were what will be his downfall.

View PostIt was made pretty clear that Cramer and CNBC does not have the common man's interest in mind when making a show. The idea that so many warning signs could slip through the cracks with no fact checking doesn't sit well with me.

ah, i dunno 'bout that.

you know, it just boggles my mind that people would act on TV advice.

i mean, pump 'n dump concerns aside, sometimes, the advice you get is worth exactly what you pay for it. which, coming from the telly, is zero.

having said that, cramer is certainly not a noob when it comes to investing, but folks have to understand, that regarding individual stock picks, if you are right 40% of the time, you are doing well by wall street professional standards.

that's right ... a PM (portfolio manager) is going to strive to be right at least 40% right on all his picks.

the losses produced by the basket of losers is offset by a few winners.

you roll the dice on one stock without doing your homework, you're gonna get burned.

View Postah, i dunno 'bout that.

you know, it just boggles my mind that people would act on TV advice.

i mean, pump 'n dump concerns aside, sometimes, the advice you get is worth exactly what you pay for it. which, coming from the telly, is zero.

having said that, cramer is certainly not a noob when it comes to investing, but folks have to understand, that regarding individual stock picks, if you are right 40% of the time, you are doing well by wall street professional standards.

that's right ... a PM (portfolio manager) is going to strive to be right at least 40% right on all his picks.

the losses produced by the basket of losers is offset by a few winners.

you roll the dice on one stock without doing your homework, you're gonna get burned.

But i think that is the point. MANY people did look to Kramer, and CNBC for their advice. Kramer's show is called "Fast Money". He spouts off about things, telling people what to do with their money...knowing what you just said..that he is going to be wrong the majority of the time. Should people get their investment advice from a TV personality who acts like a moron. Heck no...do they..Heck yes.

Not everyone has the suaveness when it comes to investing. But people were sold an idea that they to can become the next big money manager, right from their own couch. And Cramer played that up to its fullist.

But at the same time as telling all the rubes out there what to do on his goofball show...he is on thestreet.com talking about how easy it is to manipulate stock prices. One game for the "in" crowd...one game for the other 98%.

And he is playing that game with our money..the people who have money in 401K, pension funds etc.

was a supporter of Obama. He said something contrary to Obama. He will be thrown under the bus, by Obama and his minions. They don't care if he once supported him, every time he says stuff like that on tv. obama loses 1000 votes in 2012.

Jon Stewart-edgy, on top, at the forefront, finger on the pulse.

Yeah right. He is just another minion.

"When I play 'Relax', you will Kill the prime minister of Malaysia Jon"!

Hes a toadie, just like all the other toadies.

View Postwas a supporter of Obama. He said something contrary to Obama. He will be thrown under the bus, by Obama and his minions. They don't care if he once supported him, every time he says stuff like that on tv. obama loses 1000 votes in 2012.

Jon Stewart-edgy, on top, at the forefront, finger on the pulse.

Yeah right. He is just another minion.

"When I play 'Relax', you will Kill the prime minister of Malaysia Jon"!

Hes a toadie, just like all the other toadies.

So Stewart went after Cramer because he said something disparaging about Obama?

If you saw the back-story, the Daily Show basically made a joke about Cramer a few weeks ago who then went on ever show he could slamming Stewart. Last night was payback and Cramer got crushed.

But somehow this really was about having Obama's back?

Anyway, it seems to me the purpose of the show was to point out the hypocrisy of saying one thing in one forum and an entirely different one in another. Those clips they used of Cramer on thestreet.com were brutal.

It certainly reinforces the notion that financial expert = knowing exactly how to manipulate and circumvent the rules in order get as much money as I can in the short term, long term consequences be damned.

It's almost like these bubbles get created and encourage with full knowledge that they are going to burst eventually, but the financial folks encourage their creation because they can cash in on the way up.

Actually the whole thing started with Stewart taking issue with David Santelli's hypocritical rant on the floor of the Chicago exchange, thus feeding johnwade's paranoia that anybody who says anything bad about Obama will get "pushed under the bus."

Whatever. Cramer got his ass whooped and had no good answers for Stewart.

Anyway, it seems to me the purpose of the show was to point out the hypocrisy of saying one thing in one forum and an entirely different one in another.

It would only seem that way to people who think tv is real.

It is not.

Stewart, who is a phony, calling out another phony cohort? Hurts the tv business. Why would Stewart do that. Either he is an idiot and he is pooping where he eats, or he believes in the cause so much he thinks its his duty.

Here is the John Stewart gag, in case you think tv is real and don't get it:

Go after somebody, make up and slant a story. Create the illusion that your "story" has weight and integrity When they call you out on it, cut the person off and make a fart joke. Then you defend that by saying "HEYYYYY, we're just a comedy show, pull my finger, yuk yuk yuk."

There are people, right here on SOL, that is to say people that post here on a regular basis, that watch the comedy central channel to learn about current events. that is not my opinion, that is fact as stated by the members themselves.

If you would ever like to discuss the damage that has been done to the USA by having the government educate children, i would be happy to discuss it with you.

View Post.......

There are people, right here on SOL, that is to say people that post here on a regular basis, that watch the comedy central channel to learn about current events. that is not my opinion, that is fact as stated by the members themselves.

Sad, but true.

Classic dismiss the source rather than discuss the content.

Did you even watch it?

To me it was simply interesting to watch a purported "financial expert" from a supposed "business network" get made to look like such a fool.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sheesh......

So lets recap... Cramer is the bad guy for not seeing this coming.

Not greenspan

Not congress

Not bernanke

Not Paulson

Not the heads of Risk management in every freaking investment bank

Cramer

Got it