Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shoopie

tying trouble

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

All these suggestions are great for making the workspace a more ergonomic environment. Several of your suggestions were to put the bobbin down and back away from the table! That's exactly what I need to do. The problem arises when I'm focused and really enjoying what I'm doing. It can be at the fly tying vise or at the computer like right now. A couple of hours can easily just slip by and I"m still sitting here. I once saw a video by Dr. Janet Travell in which she said to set a kitchen timer if you are doing some kind of sedentary activity. I think she said to set the timer for 20 or 30 minutes and when it goes off, get up and take a break and move around before returning to your reading, computer, or fly tying......When you return to your favorite activity, don't forget to reset the timer!.......OK, so now it's time for me to get up, move around, give my wife a big hug, and tell her how I couldn't live without her.......and.... I think I may need a new 9 or 10 wt. fly rod by next Fall! We'll see if Dr. Travell's idea has any real merit!

TIM

Its probably the height of the vise. I actually have mine on a workbench I made that is fairly high, with the vise extended almost as high as it can go. I tie standing up, with the fly at about chest-height.

Sitting in general is the worst position for a persons spine. Its an anatomically un-friendly position, and puts considerable stress on your lower back. If your lower back is stressed like this your upper-back and neck will also see additional stress to counter-act the position (to keep you from falling over).

im playing with different setups. higher seat, lower seat, etc. the higher seat helped a bit. im also getting used to it, i just started tying so that could be it.

it's probably cause you just started tying and your body is not accustomed to it just yet. but do it in moderation i only tie for about 1hr at a time