Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Any Butchers in the House?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Was just up at Shaws, and I asked the meat manager about this, but he didn't really give me a good answer. Something that has had me headscratch.gif for awhile now.

Why is it that you can go in the super and find semi-boneless rib steaks that are about 3/4's to 1 pound a piece, but yet when you go to buy a 2 bone semi-bonelss rib roast, they always run about 4+ pounds?

From what I understand, the rib roast is just run thru the band saw to cut them into ribeye steaks....why such a difference?

When I was there, they had no roasts out.....I spied a package that had two nice looking bone in rib-eyes for about $14 (about 2 1/3 lbs total) . I was thinking about just getting them and tieing them together to make a rib roast. I asked the butcher if that would work, and he said he could cut me a roast. I said okay, I want a small 2-ribber, but I don't want it to be more than about 3 lbs......he came back and said he cut it rib to rib, and it came in at 4 and a quarter (about $24 and change)......I took it anyway since he cut it special, but I just don't get the descepency.....

What am I missing here?

cwm13.gif

steve, i'm not 100% sure but i've seen people order a rib roast by saying they will take from the 3to7 bone witch leaves odd sizes left over.they pay for it but you will end up with a center cut.

Popper....I understand that, but it still doesn't explain what I am asking.....

Let me put it another way...

A ribeye steak weighs about a pound.....why is it when two rib steaks are cut together (a 2-rib roast), they weigh 4 pounds?

Jim....I've watched the butchers cut up a roast to make rib eyes....they take the whole thing and run it thru the band saw to make rib-eyes.....large end to small end.......the steaks from the smaller end run about 3/4's pound, from the large end, about 1.2 pounds......

A 2 rib roast from the small end runs just under 4 pounds (if you are lucky). From the large end, as much as 4.75 pounds......

Think small end is closer to loin end, large end closer to chuck. Loin end is mostly eye and chuck end has smaller part of eye plus a couple other muscles.

I go nuts standing at the counter trying to figure out how to buy a good rib roast.

View PostI'm not sure that a steak is equal to a rib. Might be 4 or 5 steaks in 2 ribs worth of eye

that would be my take on it- between the ribs there is a space roughly equal to the width of a rib-

between that anatomical fact and where they cut it from should explain it

sometimes though, a man in a black helicopter swoops in and puts his finger on the scale

View PostI'm not sure that a steak is equal to a rib. Might be 4 or 5 steaks in 2 ribs worth of eye

So how is it that there is a bone in every ribeye? See my confused.gif yet?....at first I thought that perhaps they run the saw thru the middle of each rib bone (yielding 2 steaks per each rib bone), but I don't think that is the case, or else they would be awfully thin steaks......

Or maybe they cut a bone-in ribeye, and then a boneless, and then another bone in, etc?......Though in my obesravtion, never saw that..........

I am so confused.....redface.gif

Not sure that steaks are cut parallel to the bone so could be a piece of the same rib in a couple steaks. Now that you got me thinking about it I'm hoping a butcher chimes in.

View PostOr maybe they cut a bone-in ribeye, and then a boneless, and then another bone in, etc?......I am so confused.....redface.gif

i think they are more apt to cut the meat from the bone and cut boneless rib eyes from that so they have more control over the weight

but i do think they get three steaks from two ribs: one boneless, the other two bone-in

When I go to Stop and Shop on Saturday, I will ask Tom, the meat manager there.....he and I have a better relationship than I do with the guy at Shaw's, so perhaps I will get a better explanation....

Will let ya's know.......

View Postheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

cwm40.gif

Add salt, it will cool quicker.................

Now Vinny, why would anyone want a cool ribeye or rib roast? EVERYONE knows they should be room temp before hitting the grill or oven......

tongue.gif

wink.gif

When I wanted bone in ribeye's that were full bone, I used to have to make them about 20 ounces and sometimes maybe more. A smaller bone in would be cut through the bone sometimes. This was when I had steaks butchered for me at the restaurant.