Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sand Lizard

Hooked a 35 pounder today!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm feeling a little under the weather so I called in sick today, slept in til 10am and felt well enough to sit in front of the TV and change out some plug hooks with my "35lbs" Cocker by my side. All was going well until the Mail Man came, just the sound of my mail box opening and closing sends my Dog into a fury. So I have a 3/0 VMC treble in one hand and a pair of split ring pliers w/split ring in the other when the mail box opens and the dog leaps across my lap to "attack" the Mail Man! Oh $#!%! where's the hook? Run over to the dog and theres the hook, shank between his "toes" and hooks resting on top of his paw. Now he thinks I want to play and he starts running up and down the stairs. Amazingly the hook didn't penetrate his skin. All is well thank goodness, this would have been tough to explain to my wife and the Vet...should have stayed in bed.

Lucky dog. One time my old roommates dog was sniffing around my tackle bag when he suddenly starts a high pitched cry. He had gotten himself snagged on a big needlefish. One hook was on his head/ear and the other was under his paw. Every time he tried to free the paw he drove the top hook in more! Luckily I was able to stop him quickly and the hook points barely broke skin.

had a yellow lab years ago that used to go to work with me.

forgot one day that i had picked up some freshwater lures and had them in the suburban.

almost to work and the dog jumps over the rear seat and puts his paws up on the center console.

i looked over at him and he had a chartruese spinner bait hanging from his bottom lip........cwm31.gifcwm31.gif

4 of us tried to hold him down to push the hook thru and cut it off, not gonna happen..

throw the dog back in the truck and take him to the vet hospital, they had to knock him out to get the hook out.

ruined a perfectly good spinnerbait but no damage to the dog.biggrin.gif

Yup,

Been there. Twiceredface.gif . First time when she was a pup. She followed me to the basement and I didnt think anything of it. Then I heard a loud banging and turn to see my fresh water pole flying in circles. She grabbed the small swimmer and got two of the trebles in her lip. They were past the the barbs and to small for me to get out. Luckily I was able to grab her and get the attention af an electrician who was working next door. Who let me borrow a pair of pliers. I clipped the lure and hook as much as possible then drove to the closest vet. I asked them to help get it out and the receptionist replied "sorry shes not a patient here" I couldnt belive it. I had to ask the vet directly, eventually they helped out.

Second time....

beatin.gif I left my plug bag by the front door and of course there was a bucktail sticking out. Well I was on my way to work when I get a call from my wife.screamin-meanie.gif "You need to come home the dog has one of your BIG lures stuck in her mouth!" She said she opened the door and the poor thing was shaking by the door and the kitchen looked like a massacure had taken place. Sure enough its a 5oz white bucktail. She had shaken it so much the hole was big enough for me to easily back it out.

Lesson: Keep the pets AWAY from the tackle !!

Same thing happen to me on saturday to my black lab only 5 months old just finshed a plug was looking at it got stuck in his nose and in my hand he was dragging me around stitches later for him and one bloddy mess for me it was over those owners are sharp

never hooked my dog but a few years back i had my trout rods standing in a corner one of them had a spinner still on it , the cat like the shiny thing got it hooked in her paw , talk about fun i'm trying to get a hook out of her while she's puting all of her hooks into me