Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert104

crack in flex coat

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Built a salmon steelhead rod last year and to my dissapointment I found cracks in the first four guides at the foot of those guides. Was my finish too thin, did

I wrap too tight, should I have used and underwrap? Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thats part of the game.. it happens.. its caused by too much bend in the rod and epoxy, for the most part being brittle. Just apply another coat of finish right over the last one.. just scuff it gently with fine gritted sand paper and re-apply the epoxy.. it'll be fine.

BC

Yep, epoxy cracking over feet is something that is hard to avoid and inevitable mostly in the long run. That said, I think proper epoxy mix/application, and properly prepped feet have alot to do with cracked epoxy ard feet.

It's gonna happen sooner or later. In my experience flex coat is one of the worst at it. I've been happier with aftcote lately but that still cracks, just takes a bit longer than the fc.

View Postthats part of the game.. it happens.. its caused by too much bend in the rod and epoxy, for the most part being brittle. Just apply another coat of finish right over the last one.. just scuff it gently with fine gritted sand paper and re-apply the epoxy.. it'll be fine.

BC

Till you flex the rod deeply againsmile.gif

Do a search on this topic and you will get all sorts of garbage. Until the silver bullet mix comes out all high builds will crack at some point. Nothing to do at all with how we prep our guides or if you use an underwrap or not. Just live with ity annoying as it is.

Mike

I don't think the cracks look nearly as bad if you use a lighter thread for the overwrap. The cracks always looked worse on black, I'm not saying you have to use white (no see um cracks biggrin.gif) because that's a pain in the butt of a different sort, but something in the middle. I've come to like using medium gray or blue hues in the overwrap with a good measure of success. That said, I happen to like those colors a whole lot, not everyone does.

If you see cracks it most likely means that you're catching fish.........and that's a good thing. Back in the 70's it was worse.

I've had better luck when I coat the under wrap before I wrap the guide on.

View PostI don't think the cracks look nearly as bad if you use a lighter thread for the overwrap. .

Just wait until you take teh rod in teh SW, and the guide feet start to rust underneath the cracks. Those nice light colored wraps will turn a nice shade of streaky brown at the end of teh foot. This happens whether you grind the feet and leave them bare, grind the feet and recoat the guide foot, or just wrap teh guide without grinding and leave the factoy finish on the guide as is.

If you fish in FW, or use Titnaium guides, it's not a problem at all.

View PostNothing to do at all with how we prep our guides or if you use an underwrap or not.

I totally agree. YOu can reduce it, and in certain cases prevent it from happening - butit's not a 100% guaranteed method sinec it will happen from time to time regardless how well you have it figured out.

I'm at teh point where anyone who says grinding guides will prevent guide from cracking - is full of crap. They are flat out lying adn trying to make themselves look like tehy are some superior builder. Fact is they are not, adn if you saw their rods you would laugh when you see all teh guides with cracks...not just 1 or 2.

View PostJust wait until you take teh rod in teh SW, and the guide feet start to rust underneath the cracks. Those nice light colored wraps will turn a nice shade of streaky brown at the end of teh foot. This happens whether you grind the feet and leave them bare, grind the feet and recoat the guide foot, or just wrap teh guide without grinding and leave the factoy finish on the guide as is.

If you fish in FW, or use Titnaium guides, it's not a problem at all.

All that hard work & for what rusty brown wraps cwm27.gifdrool.gif ...

Learned that the hard way. Maybe Gottog will see this and post teh photo of teh first rod I built him, which had shaded light to ark grey, then to blue guide wraps. After a few years of use, it's ended up looking like I marbled the guides with brown wood stain.

View PostAll that hard work & for what rusty brown wraps cwm27.gifdrool.gif ...

I know what you mean but I've never thought of it being that bad. I'm not using really bright colors anyway, something medium-dark, I do see a little bit of brown but I can live with it. If you ask me, brown on gray blends in a bit more than white cracks on black finish, but that's just my opinion. No matter what I guess it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

In my case I am constantly tinkering with the rods anyway, pulling all the guides off every few years, so the brown never gets that bad.

SWJ - part of teh problem with getting info off the internet, is more often than not its' incomplete. HAd you posted all that the first time, I wou;dn't ahve bothered posting what I did. I'mnot meanign topickon you, but just in general people shoudl really take allinfo off the internet with a grain of salt - regardless who is postingit.

I can tell you this, moreoften than not I don't post every detail of "how to". If people arent' testing stuff for themselves, tehy are doing themselves a diservice. Same goes for blindly believing someone who says they never had a guide foot crack - tehy are full of crap, and the only ones who believe it are teh ones who A. never seentaht persons rods, adn B believe that tehre are some who are Gods of rodbuilding. Gods cannot change physics.