Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrTeek

Fishing around Asbury

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Hey all. I live close to Asbury Park but I've never really fished in the area and I'd like to try it out. I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers as too places to fish, especially safe places to fish at night.

I don't expect any specifics and thats fine, just general locations or areas you'd guys recommend to start out. On a side note, is it really safe to fish Asbury at night? I do mostly night fishing and I've heard Asbury can be a "rough" area. Opinions?

Bad idea unless you're with a group of guys. Very bad idea.

Anywhere north or south is a good place to start

No point asking for spots (and you didn't - that's a good thing).

Not many guys have been fishing for quite a while and a lot of the soft structure will have shifted around so no one could really help anyway.

You should carry a knife any way and or a gaff, but that doesn,t help in a gun fight.cwm31.gifbiggrin.gif Plus you want to have a car to put your gear back into when done fishing. All kidding aside Asbury is on the upswing, but you would do well by folllowing sudsy's advice. knobs

View PostBad idea unless you're with a group of guys. Very bad idea.

Not many guys have been fishing for quite a while and a lot of the soft structure will have shifted around so no one could really help anyway.

Good advice- Theres 20 miles of beach to the north and alot more to the south. Unless you've got a bunch of guys, fishing AP at night is ill advised.

Caught a 30# plus on a first cast one night off the Northen most jetty. Never been there before. Made five more casts and got the, if you see Kay, out of there. Was more worried about the truck.

View PostBad idea unless you're with a group of guys. Very bad idea.

what he^^^^^ said be careful

View PostYou should carry a knife any way and or a gaff, but that doesn,t help in a gun fight.cwm31.gifbiggrin.gif Plus you want to have a car to put your gear back into when done fishing. All kidding aside Asbury is on the upswing, but you would do well by folllowing sudsy's advice. knobs

On the upswing? cwm27.gif

Head north of Asbury. Do not waste your time and you'll keep your life. If going during the day, maybe still partner up. It's always a good idea when your in the ghetto. Another thing if your going at night, do not. I repeat do not. Just because some people like myself sometimes would carry a concealed doesn't mean your always safe. I don't anymore. Put that to rest. Just head elsewhere, really good fishing just north of Asbury.

During the daytime Asbury seems ok to me. Lot's of people around and walking the boardwalk. I've stopped in there in the spring checking out whats going on. At night I wouldn't even dare. Even driving through to get north of the area at night seems like it could be a bad idea.....Someone told me the guy who was 1st in line for this year's Asbury show had his car broken into.

Fish north or south. South has more access if you ask me and really we're only talking a 5-10 min drive. Crazy how such a small distance makes such a big difference. Must be those freshwater ponds keeping everything divided.

John

U people make it sound like he wants to fish the Congo with the machete carrying guerillas waiting to decapitate him in the jungle...

It's not that bad over there...you can fish it alone really late...nobodys going to see you. Stay close to the water and don't turn your light on (that right there exposes 98% of you yokels cwm27.gif ). O ya don't park there...you gotta hump it in an out from either the south or the north...

I fished the jetties at Asbury by myself numerous times at night. However, I am a younger guy who sort of fits in with the crowd because of the culture I grew up around. I would take the advice given by the other guys on here. I would suggest heading SLIGHTLY north and finding some nice holes off the sand between jetties. Trust me they are there, you just have to look for them... Try a few casts in one spot, if nothing hits, move a couple of feet to the side and repeat. You will notice what spots produce more than others. Hope this helps.

I have been fishing the Asbury Park beaches alone at night for the past few years and have never even had anyone approach me. Once in a while I will go over and speak to someone else, but, never had a bad experience. My god, you guys make it sound like we need Wyatt Erp on the AP beaches. Not true.