Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Which Weight Fly Rod?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Herb,

Thank you for your generous offer to share some of your sand eel flies. I've spent many fun filled hours lately at my fly tying bench. I've tied up some Ray's Flies and Clouser Minnows that should work pretty well as sand eel imitations. I should be pretty well set now as far as sand eel imitations go. If you have a favorite pattern that works well for you, then I'd really like to hear about it.

I really appreciate your recommendation about the 9 wt. Wulff Saltwater MonoClear line. I wasn't familiar with that line but now I've got my eye on it. I see that Bear's Den stocks it and I plan on going there when I'm in the Cape.

Thanks again, Herb.

TIM

You're not really undergunned with an 8 wt. It's more so that with the winds that can blow around here, you might more comfortable with a 10 wt. Fish some of the outflows in the stretch of the cape you mentioned and you should be fine.

With the current flow up here, if you do fish these outflows, you'll want to think about some sort of a sinking line, whether it's a full sinker or a shooting head. If you chose to fish open beach, a floater or intermediate would work better. In fact, seriously, before you take any suggestions for line choices, you should mention what type of situation (inlet/outflow, open beach, etc) that you'll be fishing, because just one line won't 'cover it all'...and if someone tries to tell you so, I personally wouldn't listen.

Albacized, The area where I have been fishing is the beach with jetties every couple hundred yards. The jetties may extend out into the water about 75' or more. Most of the jetties are posted as private property, so except for a relative's jetty, I just fish from the beach. I do have visions of a kayak in the future!

I have to say, I don't fully understand what line is best for a given situation. As I mentioned in one of the posts above, I have an 8 wt. floater and intermediate. It sounds like with an 8 wt. fairly stiff fly rod, I could up-line with a 9 wt. line and get a little better penetration into the wind. When the wind picks up, the waves pick up, and the seaweed kicks up, so what type of line would be ideal then?

Tim,

I have had the best results with very sparse flys. See below. The long flys (eels) were tied with one (two max) saddle hackles and palmered heads.

Pink seems to work when other colors do not.

Good luck,

Herb

Thanks Herb for taking the time to post the pictures. Your flies look great! I think that the Ray's flies that I tied are sparse enough, but my Clousers are a lot bulkier than yours. I'll lighten up a bit on the next Clousers that I tie. I really like your eels in the bottom picture. I haven't tied any like that yet, but I'll be sure to put some together before I hit the Cape. Do you ever make those with rabbit zonker strips? I may try some like that also. Seeing your pictures and how sparse your Clousers are tied really is a big help.

Thanks again.

TIM

Tim,

I just use the cross-cut rabbit hair for the palmerd heads on some flys.

Not sure I like them as much as feathers. Would bush more water though.

Tim,

check your PM's.

Herb

View PostAlbacized, The area where I have been fishing is the beach with jetties every couple hundred yards. The jetties may extend out into the water about 75' or more. Most of the jetties are posted as private property, so except for a relative's jetty, I just fish from the beach. I do have visions of a kayak in the future!

I have to say, I don't fully understand what line is best for a given situation. As I mentioned in one of the posts above, I have an 8 wt. floater and intermediate. It sounds like with an 8 wt. fairly stiff fly rod, I could up-line with a 9 wt. line and get a little better penetration into the wind. When the wind picks up, the waves pick up, and the seaweed kicks up, so what type of line would be ideal then?

I usually like floating lines in the surf, with an intermediate being a close second. However, if the surf is running a bit high, a sinker is better (imho)

The TFO TICR and the SA intermediate line is perfection for what you want to do IMO bro! Get some of those Clousers find some ripping current especially during bad weather and at night strip like a fiend and move alot if you don't hook up...PM me when you find some fish...I'll return the favor...I usually have them from 4/15 until 11/1 or so...you tackle rules...study above leader thread...cast on the lawn SLP and a tight loop....in just over a month it will be off the hook here....!

i own a 9 and i love it. its good from jetties and from the boat.

there are times i wish i had a 10 for large flies in big wind, but i think i compensate well enough.

if you're going to fish just from a boat, i'd go 10. if you do a lot of variety, i'd go 9

Tim,

I like a 9wt you can cast that all day. A 10 wt is just too much rod for prolonged casting. Team the 9 wt with std WF fly lines and you will be good to go. I have both 9 and 10 and have fished both hard and long so what I am offering is based on personal experince. But it is still only a guide only you can determine what suits you.

But go on if you go with a 9 you will not regret it. LOL

Mike

Might I suggest you have a look at the TFO 11' 9# switch rod. Its a DH thing, has a load envelope from 500 to 700gns, like 15#, and it casts like a dream. Better for beaches than 9 footers, and since its a double hand rod its a lot easier on your arms and a hell of a lot harder on the fishes.

Just a thought.

MaxG.

TTH

You got a lot of good advise from a lot of people, sometimes to much will confuse you. The one thing you have to keep in mind is a new rod will require a new line or two and maybe a new reel and possibly a new spool or two. This all adds up to money. Buying new stuff is also a lot of fun, That being said I will tell you what you have now will be more than enough to fish while you are here.

I will tell you that I use a 9wt TFO 4pc Professional and for the money it is a great rod. If you want get the new rod I would suggest this rod along with the Airflo Polyfuse XT clear blue intermediate line. I used the SA Mastery Intermediate for about 3 years and everyone cracked in a very short time.The Airflo is the best ( My Opinion). When you go to the Bears Den, Scott the owner will more than likely concur since he sells a ton of them. You will get a lot of bang for the buck.

Flies are not that big of an issue your basic clouser and decievers will work in just about all locations up hear. Look at my post the Master Box if you want to see some fly patterns.

When you come up if you want send me a PM and if I can I will show you a couple of places to fish if your not familiar with the area.

I know what it is like to try to find a place to fish in a new area, it can be very hard at times.

I live exactly where you are talking - 9 wt is the way to go....Check the Eastmans sport and tackle, (in downtown Falmouth), website a few days prior for the latest reports... The best place would be the jetty off South Cape beach, not only blues and bass, but good shots at albies, and the occasional school of bonito.....