Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krispy

RI fish drought

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

With the near desertion of decent bass from the soco and Narra surf for the past several seasons, any devout RI guys planning on staying local to CT this year?

I haven't noticed a lack of fish in RI but would like to spend a bit more time exploring the CT shoreline this season. Have fished the rivers a lot during the spring run but haven't really spent any time yet learning the CT coast.

Every time I went fishing Down narra and soco the CT plates out numbered the RI plates,Soooo it makes me wonder why I would go to were they were.headscratch.gif

Ok, so maybe I'm jumping the gun w this thread stating observations generally accepted by many successful fishermen I talked to.

Let's start with; have you seen a decline in the soco and Narra fishery in regard to larger bass caught/reported in thepast 3 seasons

Will you make changes to where you fish based on past seasons?

I really stopped going up there a few seasons ago when we had TONS o' bunker and great fishing here; and subsequently I got better at fishing locally. put together with high gas costs and I really had no reason to go up there....

but last yeat things were SOO BAD locally (in spite of huge numbers of bunker in the area) that I really think theres something going on with the fish populatio numbers (again, coupled with the allegations of huge fish slaughters going on off the Carolinas this winter)..... I gues we'll see how it turns out this year- my last 2 spring seasons have been way off too

Chris, not sure if you saw woodys post on the CSA forum, but this was my reply about the trends.

The trends IMO are not predictable, one year huge bait, less fish, the next year, small bait, fish everywhere. The thing that keeps this sport interesting is that you must be aware of the bait situation in any given area that you plan to fish . The time of year plays a key role, herring run or not,etc. The spring bunker run in the lower CT River was an anomaly last season that will likely or not happen this season, my crystal ball is shattered, and I just go with what seems to be presented to me at the day I am on the yak or the beach. Preparing my tackle for what to expect on any given outing is driving me back to the basics of the sport, I need to stop worrying about variety and continue more tried and true concepts for longer periods of time, I almost was at the point of plug A.D.D. two casts- lure no good. More hours actually fishing is another goal.

BTW, you should of had the cajones to put this post in the R.I. forumargue.gifsmile.gif

View PostOk, so maybe I'm jumping the gun w this thread stating observations generally accepted by many successful fishermen I talked to.

Let's start with; have you seen a decline in the soco and Narra fishery in regard to larger bass caught/reported in thepast 3 seasons

Will you make changes to where you fish based on past seasons?

yes and yes

I intend to fish RI more this year- I scouted out some known areas- that I have never fished before. I just think surfcasting is more than just catching big fish. Some of the spots are so naturally beautiful that I know I will enjoy fishing them.

I only fished 3 times in SoCo from shore this past season and only caught one fish - and it wasn't even a striper (was an albie)...and it took a lot of tosses with a tin to score even that one fish.

And here it is - a bad cell phone pic of my entire RI seasoncwm27.gif

View PostS. shore RI is becoming shunned like the Capeskunk.gif

You know my batting average was real low in Gansett for 2007 and 2008. I pretty much gave up on the place, but will still keep a look out for signs of life periodically. Stuff happens in cycles and last years lemon may become this year's lemonade...cwm15.gif