Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

Installing soffit vents

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Guys, I've been reading for the last hour or so about attic insulation and ventilation. I had a new roof put on my house this past fall, and the roofer installed a ridge vent along both ridges (I have an L shaped house). He told me to make sure to install soffit vents as well, so that I complete the ventilation equation.

Now, my house is approximately 1,800 sq/ft, and in an earlier post, I read that for every 300 sq/ft of attic floor space, I should have 1 sq/ft of vent. With my fingers and toes I calculated that I basically would need about 6 sq/ft of soffit vents. Is that right?

Next question, is it better to use a lot of the 3" round soffit vents, or would I be better served to go with the 16" x 4" rectangular soffit vents? Also, is it best to have a vent in every rafter bay (that actually has an overhang that I can get to in order to install a soffit vent)?

Finally, I saw this in another post:

as stated by me and others on this board gable + soffit= good, ridge + soffit=good. Ridge + Gable + Soffit = Bad.

If you have ridge and gable and soffit the gable and ridge tend to cancel out the soffit.

My father in law had some stupid roofer talk him into gable vents when he alreay had soffit and ridge and it frigged the whole attic up. Moisture Moisture and More Moisture which led to mold. I covered up the gable vents fixed the problem with the moisture but we had to replace the whole roof because of the mold. Not good.

I have gable vents right now. Two are louvered windows that are approximately 30" x 48" (they are perpendicular to each other, as my house is an L shaped along the ground, but the roof ridges intersect about 14 feet in from the south side of the house, thereby giving me three gabled ends), and then a much smaller wooden louvered 12" x 16" opening. Based on the above reply in another thread, should I seal up these three openings, and just go with the ridge and soffit vents?

I install what I call bullet vents, one for each bay if possible. They are round, approx. 1.5" diameter, and install quickly with a holesaw. They gave my house just enough air flow to minimize massive ice damming I was having. I should also note that I have proper vents running into the attic to make sure the insullation is not impeding airflow, and have added another blanket to prevent the heat from escaping the living area. No issues with moisture in two years, although I only have one gable vent.

the more venting the better in your soffits,but you have to make sure your have the proper vents in each of your rafter bays,and I would block the gable ends vents off they will srew up the air flow in your attic in combination with the ridge vents,matt