Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishdoctor

NJ Jetty Rod?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Its kind of insane but I have caught my fair share of stripers but have not spent a lot of time on jetties for stripers, for fluke I have, but not for stripers.

Having done most of my fishing from the piers and off the beach, I am interested in your opinions on a good jetty rod.

My off the beach rod is a 1322-2 Ron Arra with a 704Z. Piers I do the baitrunners with 6-8 and bait rods. I also have a Diawa 9 foot beater for throwing bombers and small stuff but it is not to my liking. I also have an 11 foot Penn Pro Guide with a Mag 525.

Question is to what is a good set up for

a. when the bunker are in or pencil poppers, can I use the Arra or not good for hauling from the rocks. Could I use the 704 on another rod?

b. Bucktails and mag darters,etc

Thanks

BTW, I can guarantee I will not be crowding anyone on the jetties as I would rather not fish than be on top of people.

Your "off the beach rod" will do fine for chucking pencils off the jetties. Some guys favor shorter - say 9 foot rods - because of the room you might not have to swing a cast but, I favor the longer rod to help your plug clear the rocks better. If you can swing your plug away from the rocks instead of reeling into them, you'll save a lot of pluggage. Just remember that the fish often lay close to the rocks so don't yank the plug out of the strike zone too early.

The longer rod swung with a sidearm cast might also buy you some room on the jetties when the crowds show up - just kidding, be safe.tongue.gif

1322 with a 704z sounds good to me. I find myself using my 131 1m for just about everything from bombers to pencils to big jigs.

You could downsize if you like, but what you have now will work just fine if you don't feel like spending the money for another set up.

View Post9ft. Lami surf and jetty, PT Cabo 40 reel, 50lb. braid, 80lb. mono leader.

I agree on the rod. I have this one and love it, plenty of back bone. I have mine paired up with a VS200 with 50lb power pro. icon14.gif

Lami

Thanks for the info guys. I like a longer rod so I think I'll stick to my off the beach rod and perhaps down the road pick up the 9 foot surf and jetty lami to replace the Diawa I do not like.

9 1/2, would be the biggest I'd ever go off a jetty, just my opinion. I couldn't imagine working plugs off the rocks with an 11 foot rod, not me.

My favorite setup was is a 9ft Lami Inshore Classic paired with a 460 Slammer, just the perfect jetty setup, almost meant to be, whether tossing eels, plugs between 1 and 4oz with 1.5-2 being its sweet spot, awesome bucktailing rod. I also used a 9 1/2 foot Lami Tri-flex with a 704z, using the 9.5 was almost pushing it, anything bigger on the rocks, I couldn't imagine. The Triflex we had was rated 2-6oz, my good friend (Black Talon) had the same one, and threw his giant pencils with it and other huuuuuuuuuuge lures, very good pencil rod and a 704 pairs nicely on it. You have to look for the older model Triflex as I think the new 9.5 has a different rating compared to 2-6oz which was nice for big plugs.

Thanks guys for the various perspectives.

I think at some point I may want to add a 9 foot or so Lami to the arsenal as I can switch off with the 704Z.

I'll try the Arra, see what I feel comfortable with and take it from there.

Just did not want to look like a googan with an 11 foot rod.

It seems I won't.

See you out there.

Jay

View PostThanks guys for the various perspectives.

I think at some point I may want to add a 9 foot or so Lami to the arsenal as I can switch off with the 704Z.

I'll try the Arra, see what I feel comfortable with and take it from there.

Just did not want to look like a googan with an 11 foot rod.

It seems I won't.

Jay

If you even remotely care what you look like or what anyone thinks you look like.Your probabaly a googan anyways.

I have caught thousands of fish on a 9 ft surf and jetty.I never use it anymore.A longer rod with more backbone makes it easier to deal with good fish and rocks.The 9 fter was just a little weak for that.I left me at the mercy of circumsatance instead of making my own situations...I think I would stay away from the arra in the 9 ft model.I primarily use an 11 ft rod.It can be a little awkward on some rock perches.There's a lot of leverage when a fish hits.The 120 1m Is a suitable blank if you want to downsize a little.