Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Auto Engine cleanser recommandation

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I have an old car, 1994 integra with 125000 miles on it. I don't drive it often, only on weekends. I change my oil every 3 months, but with the kind of driving I have, I am suspecting there is need of cleaning the engine in a way to keep it running good.

Does anyone know of a good way and product that I can use to clean it?

Are you talking about cleaning the exterior? I was always told to leave that alone on older cars. It could wash away grime that is keeping it from leaking.

Heres what I do when I have a high mileage engine:

I drain all the oil out of my vehicle and replace it with 1/2 diesel fuel and 1/2 motor oil. motor oil. I run the engine at low idle for 5 minutes and then let it all drain out. I change the oil filter and then I take off the oil pan and clean the pan and oil pump screen. I then let the engine cool down completely and repeat the process.

There is no quicker or more complete method for removing sludge that I know of.

Seafoam....in a white can at napa, or deep creep - same stuff in an aerosol. Either spray it into the intake manifold, or disconnect a vacuum line and stick it in the can.Got turned onto it for decarbing outboards...awesome results, so I ran it through both of my hi-milage cars with eqally impressive results.Get it in the warm engine then let her sit for fifteen minutes then drive hard. Be prepared for neighbors to call the FD as all the crap burns off. You'll be glad you did it.First post from windows mobile!!

View PostSeafoam....in a white can at napa, or deep creep - same stuff in an aerosol. Either spray it into the intake manifold, or disconnect a vacuum line and stick it in the can.Got turned onto it for decarbing outboards...awesome results, so I ran it through both of my hi-milage cars with eqally impressive results.Get it in the warm engine then let her sit for fifteen minutes then drive hard. Be prepared for neighbors to call the FD as all the crap burns off. You'll be glad you did it.First post from windows mobile!!

I made the mistake of doing that in my driveway once. Astonishing amount of smoke!!!

View PostHeres what I do when I have a high mileage engine:

I drain all the oil out of my vehicle and replace it with 1/2 diesel fuel and 1/2 motor oil. motor oil. I run the engine at low idle for 5 minutes and then let it all drain out. I change the oil filter and then I take off the oil pan and clean the pan and oil pump screen. I then let the engine cool down completely and repeat the process.

There is no quicker or more complete method for removing sludge that I know of.

View PostSeafoam....in a white can at napa, or deep creep - same stuff in an aerosol. Either spray it into the intake manifold, or disconnect a vacuum line and stick it in the can.Got turned onto it for decarbing outboards...awesome results, so I ran it through both of my hi-milage cars with eqally impressive results.Get it in the warm engine then let her sit for fifteen minutes then drive hard. Be prepared for neighbors to call the FD as all the crap burns off. You'll be glad you did it.First post from windows mobile!!

I would be careful doing things like this......you take the chance of "smoking" (overheating and melting) or poisoning your cat, and then you will have a bigger headache when you fail emissions.

Seafoam is great for decarbing and it sure is smoky - wouldn't hurt to do that.

But, we've had a couple Accords and got 300k + out of them without any kind of special treatment.I think that with the kind of use you put on that car it will become a pile of rust before the engine dies.

You'll probably get so pissed when you have to change brake rotors that you will junk it. wink.gif

Make sure you do your timing belt, if you haven't.

View PostI would be careful doing things like this......you take the chance of "smoking" (overheating and melting) or poisoning your cat, and then you will have a bigger headache when you fail emissions.

I was leary of that as well, but questioned several mechanics, two of which are clients and business owners and are damned good...all told me it wasnt a concern. Dealers basically do the same thing...forget what they call it..upper combustion chamber blah blah. This reminds me...my Yukon got it at 140k, its now at 225k and its time. You'll see a smoother idle and more power as it loosens and burns off all the carbon from the combustion chamber and valves.

View PostI was leary of that as well, but questioned several mechanics, two of which are clients and business owners and are damned good...all told me it wasnt a concern.

That's all well and good, but even some of the best mechanics don't understand catalytic converters, much less their chemistry. Even folks that design and build autos don't know a whole lot about converters, they just order them from the manufacturers and spec them into their vehicles.

I, on the other hand, MADE them and even contributed to the developement of a few types as my profession. So who ya wanna believe? wink.gif

Just saying..........

From the MSDS of Seafoam:

Hazardous combustion products

: Carbon oxides ;nitrogen oxides (NOx) ;Sulphur oxides; Phosphorus compounds; other unidentified organic

compounds; irritating fumes and smoke.

Phosphorous is a major poison to the active elements of catalytic converters.........

View PostThat's all well and good, but even some of the best mechanics don't understand catalytic converters, much less their chemistry. Even folks that design and build autos don't know a whole lot about converters, they just order them from the manufacturers and spec them into their vehicles.

I, on the other hand, MADE them and even contributed to the developement of a few types as my profession. So who ya wanna believe? wink.gif

Just saying..........

Maybe things have changed in the last 20 years. wink.gif

View PostMaybe things have changed in the last 20 years. wink.gif

Um, chemistry doesn't change.......(and it hasn't been 20 years, and I also keep up on the latest technology in this realm.....tongue.gif)

View PostUm, chemistry doesn't change.......(and it hasn't been 20 years, and I also keep up on the latest technology in this realm.....tongue.gif)

I stand corrected. smile.gif