Corp plans to notch all jetties in N.Monmouth Cty

Rate this topic

curl

Corps= US Army Corps of Engineers, known for trying to control nature with disastrous consequences.

Deal= Wealthy Monmouth County town south of Long Branch.

Notching= Cutting out the beach side of the jetty, limiting access and creating bad rip tides.

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

I have fished most of Deal and if I am correct, many of the beachfront properties are protected by a very high and effecient seawall with no sandy beachfront between the seawall and the high water mark. Whatever areas in Deal that do have sandy beaches are private beach clubs.

Now if the Corp does the job, I believe that the municipality has to sign an agreement to allow public beach access. As it is now, the wealthy residents are dealing with a handfull of fishermen who utilize the area mostly in the spring and fall and on a limited basis in the summer and for the most part only at night. If they allow the job to go ahead then the public access will be in the form of summertime beachgoers and I know that they don't want that.

They also don't want any outsider parking on their "public" streets. Well bring on the bathers and you better supply plenty of parking and public restrooms and trash pickup and police.

If they notch the jetties without installing sand they may not have to cough up the access.

Sooner or later the sand that is pumped in from the south will drift north and give those towns a beach, again, without them having to provide access.

Sounds like the best of both worlds for the Corps and the towns. Sounds like if you want to do anything about it you had better be ready to fight them in court.

Let's see, two towns loaded with multi millionaires along with the Federal Government vs a handfull of surfers and fishermen in a courtroom?

rolleyes.gif

this has to be the most disrespectful and disgusting thread I've ever seen posted

Squid, actually I am surprized no sand washed in at all since the project has started.Seems like the sand stays offshore because very little has washed into Allenhurst.The 8th has had probs, partially from sand coming across in winds, but the flume now is back , surfed yesterday , it was like a deep river flowing out of Deal Lake.Deal has never seen an increase in sand too.Maybe we need to go to court,possible.Look the only the way the corp sold this was the buck in beach rebuiding save 2 in damage, JOKE, JOKE, JOKE.Deal signed off on the project last summer, the design of 8th has stalled everything so far, pain in the ass surfers and fisherman .Stalled it for 5 years too.I have seen the original plans for the area too, EVERY JETTY GETS NOTCHED, Kiss all goodbye.But as Yogi once said"it aint over till its over"If you ever thought about doing something now is the time.

This is a pretty complicated issue, so I will keep out of it for the most part... Just a few questions.

Wouldn't notching create current next to a big pile of structure? The picture of the notched jetty makes me think I would want to toss a bucktail between that pile and the beach...

I guess it is moot if they pump sand on the beach...

Isn't total removal of the jetties the best solution for everyone/everything involved?

ZIMMY , If it aint broke dont fix it.Notching creates a huge current where the jettys mitigated the current.The sand also comes from the cap of a toxic dump used in the ocean for years.SEEMS like LB DID NT CARE where the sand came from, if they cant get clean sand, do we have to put toxic chit on the beach.Think we put some in CIORA S BACK YARD, let his kids play in it huh?THE CORP CANT EVEN GET BATH READINGS right, which is the main prob at 8th ave.The corp has one goal, notch em all, blow sand forever.Obnoxious pricks would love to take em in the water and watch em wail while a 3 ft swell drags em down the beach.They better off drinking scotch and palying in wavepools!!!!!!!!, Pathetic to think thats the backbone of the corps studies, wave pools, yuck yuck.

I would liked to play devils advocate here. Maybe those jetties are the reason that bass migrate past NJ or residence farther off shore because the bait fish are negatively impacted by them.

Do the jetties impede the creation off shore bars? I would think so, since there is less lateral current flow along the shore there will be fewer and smaller bars, which we know attract bait fish and hence stripers.

What role do the jetties play in altering the natural migration of marine life?

We don't have many jetties on LI and the bass don't seem to mind it. However, jetties do make good fishing platforms if there are fish around to catch.

I just thought of another idea - maybe you can get the corp to spread those rocks around like in the top left picture of this page wink.gif

[ 12-12-2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Tj ]

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

I would liked to play devils advocate here. Maybe those jetties are the reason that bass migrate past NJ or residence farther off shore because the bait fish are negatively impacted by them.(Quote)

Absolutely not, If anything it creates a habitate that attracts the bait(as in reef), Where a multitude of life has found a home to thrive and hold bass for extended periods.

Why do they call striped bass (Rockfish)!!!!!

If anything they pass us Jersey boys quicker, Without the stucture to hold them!!!

Here today gone today!

[ 12-12-2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Windcheater John ]

I understand and agree with the habitat theory. But how much life can a single jetty hold as compared to sand bars the length of your state.

Every time that I've fished a jetty, once I've caught the few bass holding there (sometimes it's the same fish more than once) they move out for a while. Where as with the bars, there seems to be more fish cruising in an out of them all the time.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

There's a reason their called "Rockfish"...I'd take a jetty over a barren sand bar anyday of the week. Why do you think Montauk is so productive year round?? We not talking about migrating bass fall blitz fishing here, in and out of the sand bar stuff here. These are resident fish that have been eliminated by destruction of their habitats.

The Army Corps has destoyed "Jetty Country" as Monmouth was once known...as for bait, those jetties used to hold loads of bait and the fish that feed on them all the time..some of best inshore fluking spots used to be the jetties and holes next to them that are now gone. It's STRUCTURE, cover for fish in an otherwise barren ocean bottom.

I can't believe there are even fishermen who doubt the environmental and recreational benefits of jetties...

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

I want to stay out of this... but I can't. I am not going to say that the current plan is good, but I would be more understanding if recs protested because they want a return to natural beach processes (good luck rolleyes.gif ).Which would entail complete removal of the jetties, dune formation etc.

Jetties have wrecked natural shoreline processes.

Sand is not barren, I could list pages of organisms that directly or indirectly are food sources for game fish. Think sand eels, sand worms, bloodworms, clams.

Sand moves and changes constantly, but it forms nice bars with eddies and rips. Yes, stripers congregate in these areas (see: Cape Cod, Outer Banks etc.)

I would be pissed if my favorite places to fish were going to be destroyed, but jetties were and are a bad idea. Many fisherman were very upset when plans were made to remove the dam on the Kenebec because they liked that fish concentrated at the dam. Since the removal of the dam, most seem to agree that the fishing is much better than before.

I think the way to approach the subject is to come up with a long tem scientific plan for beach maintenance. This stupid process of dumping sand on the beach is never going to end otherwise