Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Feb '09 Tying Challange Final Results

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment you have all been patiently waiting for has arrived. 12 brave tiers agreed to participate in a tying challange the likes of which have never been seen here at StripersOnline. Each received an identical packet of materials from which he or she had to create a fly. No additional materials were used. Here is a link to the exact materials contained in the kits;

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=648727

Of the 12 kits sent out I received 9 entries. After careful consideration by the three non-competing judges the winner of this contest is (drum roll please) HoopNJ with this well thought out hybrid deceiver pattern;

Winner1.jpg

Hoop scored high marks for his creative use of the materials. In particular Judges loved his tab eyes that he made himself out of the materials supplied and the way he boardered the eyes in peacock hearl to give a jungle cock effect. Nice work Hoop. As your reward you will be receiving all the flies entered plus a little surprise from me smile.gif . Congrats to the King of the SOL Hill for the day!

Thanks to all who participated. In no particular order here are the other entries I received. Tiers are welcome to claim their creation if you like;

Entry A;

EntryH.jpg

Entry B;

EntryF.jpg

Entry C;

EntryG.jpg

Entry D;

EntryE.jpg

Con't on next post.....

Entry E;

EntryD.jpg

Entry F;

EntryC.jpg

Entry G;

EntryB.jpg

Entry H;

EntryA.jpg

If you were a contestant and want to know exactly how your entry scored please PM me for results.

Congrats again to Hoop, and thanks to all for playing! I'll try to do another one of these this winter.

Alan

Hoop...your fly was just outrageous. I LOVED IT!!! Great job. heart.gif I think my fly was B.

th_Contestfly1.jpg

By clicking this pic you can see my fly in different views. (and some other ones while you are at it, if interested)

Congrats on the fly Hoop! It is a standout for sure. This was good fun and I would not hesitate to try this again. Thanks Alan for hosting and thanks to the judges for taking time to look over the flies.

JA

Oh yeah, my hat's off to each and every participant! This was one fun event to follow along and now that I see the results I am glad I hung on for the ride!

You are all winners in my book! With competition like this I am beaming with excitement for the White Fly Challenge results!

Congratulations also to Hoop for the winning entry! That was really something! Your stunning use of Pcock herl reminds me of Lady Amherst Pheasant!

Thanks Alan, this was a great idea for a contest. I had a lot of fun. There are alot of great looking flies. I made a conciuos effort to use as much of the material as possible. The eye thing was definetly inspired by M.sax's Lady Amherst Pheasant trick. I was happy with the way the tab eyes turned out but thought they were still too small and set too far forward. Peacock and bucktail was all that was left so bing pajamas. I did not realize it until after I tied it but anyone who has met me in person might see why this fly is a little bit funny wink.gif Thanks again Alan for all yor leg work and nice ties everybody. Nice job on the squid who ever you are-I tried for a while to think of a non-finfish but didn't see what you did.

Hoop