Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefish1928thing

lures for wild trout

17 posts in this topic

Ill be goign on a backpacking hiking trip in the moutains of North carolina over sprign break and would be passing by some creeks/streams with some wild trout. what lures would be a good idea to use with a medium light rod and 8 pound test line? are snags common in trout fishing(over than snaggign to trees?) would i be losign a lot of lures(other than badly tied knots and over human errors)?

i dont plan on spending more than 10 dollars

i have used rooster tails for bluegills, but what sizes and colros would be good for trout(rainbow and brown)

any ideas for cheap homemade lures(aluminun can, etc and how do u do this?)

Jerry's Flies work well. as for rooster tails im thinking brown, white, black, and the mult colored green/orange one. As for size, the smaller the better. But sense your using 8pound test maybe u can add solitshots if needed. And i dont snag much on trees but it does happen. 8 pound test should get anything out that u may get stuck.

little wild trout and small conditions call for much lighter line. i would stick with 4 lb test, just get good on ur casts. i have fished for wild trout all through pennsylvania my whole life and find small rebels to work great, the smallest rapalas, small rooster tails always produce, a tiny gold pheobe and even tiny little brown bucktales. imitates stone fly larva verry well. might want to bring a box of tiny flys aswell. bring a good assortment to be ready for any hatches you encounter, its always fun to match a lait afternoon hatch. for the flys just use a small indicator, in small streams and light line u should be able to fling it far enough to dowell.

Thomas spinning lures, single indiana blade, 3 or 4 gold beads on shaft with one red orange plastic bead, smaller size.

some nymphs on two pound test no weight... let drift with current then twitch back real slow.

WORMS .......

and you can catch a 15# striper with 8# test.

View Postlittle wild trout and small conditions call for much lighter line. i would stick with 4 lb test, just get good on ur casts. i have fished for wild trout all through pennsylvania my whole life and find small rebels to work great, the smallest rapalas, small rooster tails always produce, a tiny gold pheobe and even tiny little brown bucktales. imitates stone fly larva verry well. might want to bring a box of tiny flys aswell. bring a good assortment to be ready for any hatches you encounter, its always fun to match a lait afternoon hatch. for the flys just use a small indicator, in small streams and light line u should be able to fling it far enough to dowell.

I agree.I think light line is very important.Size 0 Aglia would work.

View Postthe lighest ne i have is 6 pound test, and based on recommendations i think ill go with that.

You've been given a great list of lures and advice. 6lbs test will work if that's what you've got. Here's a key too.....don't cast a shadow on the water where you are fishing, and be very quiet. Wild trout aren't dumb like the stocked ones. wink.gif

#1 lure of choice for trout. Kennebec Lure Co. spinners (google it).

#2 Trout Magnets!!!

#3 Joe's Flies

#4 Wordens Rooster Tail 1/8 oz

#5 Other small spinners.