Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lowpine

spuds

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

We just had Idaho baked potatoes with dinner, first time in a long time. We usually have the yukon gold. It got me thinking about taters. What's your favorite?

View Postdepends. for baked potato, I like the Idaho. If I'm making roasted taters, I use red.

What he said.....baked has to be Russet/Idaho....roasted red or Yukon gold. Potato salad, again, red or Yukons. Mashed could go either way, or a mixture of both. Tis all about starch content.........

View PostWhat he said.....baked has to be Russet/Idaho....roasted red or Yukon gold. Potato salad, again, red or Yukons. Mashed could go either way, or a mixture of both. Tis all about starch content.........

And where do you stand on wrinkled? tongue.gif

Idaho's - twice baked, little chedda and crispy niplets on the top. drool.gif

View PostAnd where do you stand on wrinkled? tongue.gif

cwm27.gif ....Just this weekend, I pulled out some of the last few red and yellow potatoes I have stored in a burlap bag from my garden to make roasted garlic/rosemary potatoes. While they were still in fairly good shape, they had started to sprout a bit and the skins were a bit wrinkled.....and as I was cutting them up, one guess what I thought of?.....cwm27.gif

(And BTW, they came out VERY good...)

View Postthe last few red and yellow potatoes I have stored in a burlap bag from my garden.....

did you plant any other varieties? I grew taters for the first time last year. We did yukon gold, kennebec, and red new. They all did real well. I tell you what, a fresh dug potato is delicious! Again, the yukon golds were my favorite. We're going to do another batch this year.

Last year I decided to go with the old wives tale for a successful harvest. I planted on St Patties day(night) under the moon. And yes, my neighbors think I'm crazy smile.gif.

later,

steve

View PostAny. drool.gif The food of my people. cwm27.gif

Maybe since after 1536, but that is a relatively short time, and until then, there WERE NO POTATOES in Europe...........wink.gif

been on a big sweet potatoe kick lately. throw in the nuker for 6-8 mins, cut in half, squezze out the flesh, add some olive oil and a touch of hot water if necessary, some fresh or dried spices of your choice stir, serve and eat.

very tasty drool.gif