Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Coleman

time for the prenesting closures

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

from the 'reports' on the "o'coke " board ; there have already been sightings and scratchings .......beatin.gif

just as the drum are starting to show .....

The prenesting closures attract Plovers and encourage nesting in unsafe areas. Check the fledge rates after the birds get finished....you will see what I mean. The weather(no protective dune structure) and predators(no cover, no place for foraging chicks to hide) are a heightened risk in the inlet/overwash areas that are being closed for prenesting.

Dirty business....letting the birds die just to spite the OSV usersmad.gif

View PostThe prenesting closures attract Plovers and encourage nesting in unsafe areas. Check the fledge rates after the birds get finished....you will see what I mean. The weather(no protective dune structure) and predators(no cover, no place for foraging chicks to hide) are a heightened risk in the inlet/overwash areas that are being closed for prenesting.

Dirty business....letting the birds die just to spite the OSV usersmad.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself.clapping.gif

The surveying company already has the stakes in the sand. I'm planning a suicide run on Friday if I can shake this cold off. Been laid up for two days now.redface.gif Hopefully I'll get at least one good trip in before it's all over.

View Postfrom the 'reports' on the "o'coke " board ; there have already been sightings and scratchings .......beatin.gif

just as the drum are starting to show .....

It is a little too early for the Plovers to be courting.If one or more really was sighted at Okie, it was just there enjoying the beach.

It is really a shame that seeing a nice shorebird on the beach can be perverted into something so offensivefrown.gif