Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander1

Boxing Scoring

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hasn't changed for the better in forever. I will say for the most part, I agree with Harold Lederman almost all of the time. A recent fight between Rocky Juarez and Chris John was ruled a DRAW, John beat him terribly but it was Juarez's hometown and home cooking won out. You can even sense the commentators knowing whats right, but afraid to voice up against the system.

It's one of very few sports where we don't have an idea of the score until it's over, which can be questioned. In addition, these judges ethics or expertise has to be questioned, somethings obviously wrong. Why can't we get fellers like Lederman all the time? Its really not that difficult to see who is beating who and with todays technology we can even see who throws and lands more punches, seems almost easy!!

Until some kind of legitimacy is brought into the sport, I see no way boxing can continue to thrive, Golden Boy Promotions is just a fancy name for Don King and Bob Arum. Crooked as the number 2.

Good post.

The John/Juarez decision was terrible. I don't know exactly how the money flows, but I think the judging problem is actually systemic to boxing as a whole, starting with promotion/matchmaking, multiple organizations with "belts", and flows from there.... and pretty soon your judges consist of one guy who's a cousin of don king, one guy who's 96 years old, and a late middle-aged chick from Sri Lanka.

I actually think Lederman gets it wrong pretty often, but I do like listening to his schtick and I think he calls it like he sees it generally.

About the only positive thing I can say about Merchant is that I've seen him go ballistic a few times over blatantly bad decisions.

Lederman's OK but he's not perfect. I've noticed he always likes the more aggressive fighter who is coming forward. The problem is aggression alone does not score points.

Perfect example was Hopkins vs Taylor. I disagreed on quite a few rounds with Lederman. Taylor would come forward and throw a combination and Hopkins would duck 1 punch, catch two with the gloves and block the body shots with his elbows. Then Hopkins would land a clean short right hand right on Taylors chin.

That happened over and over. Now who do you score the round for? The guy who threw more and harder punches ( but none land clean ) or the guy who lands one clean counter punch after blocking and ducking 4 punches?

The perfect way to understand Lederman is to realize if Ali and Frazier fought a 100 rounds Harold

would find it hard to score 1 for Ali.

When I score a round. I like to break it down to three separate minutes. Scoring each minute. That makes it much easier to score those real close rounds. Keeps you honest with those fighters that like to steal rounds with a pity pat flurry in the last 10 seconds like Delahoya and Sugar Ray

I'm from the school of thought that the most punches landed in the round wins that round (unless the guy landing the most punches also gets knocked down)...I do leave room for exception - for example, I recall a fight involving someone I think was named Angel Manfredy(sp) or something like that...I think it was his fight vs Paul Spadafora. He technically landed the most punches if you watched it...but most were so weak, apparently the judges didn't acknowledge them (and rightfully so). The punches were just weak pitter patter attempts to land punches and in reality, even though I stand behind the most punches in a round should win, I also agree they should have at least a certain level of effort or power before they count as a punch. Just my .02

The reason people agree with LEderman so often,is he poisons you into thinking along his lines. I've been watchign teh fights twice - once live and once on tape, and even the Juarez fight you can see how it was ruled a draw. All he has to do is win 6 rounds, he won the first, adn the last 3 outright (even though Lederman had John winning the final round). The middle of the fight was definitely won by John, but there were a couple of rounds that were close. John landed all those punches every round, yet he was never close to knocking Juarez down, while ROcky had John staggered on a couple of occasions towards the end of teh fight.

I find the fights are a lot better when you don't listen to any of teh commentators.

HBO made such a big deal about the rookies coming up the division etc... and last saturday's fights were out of wackmad.gif . i sent an email to HBO regarding the wrong calls and draws we've seen lately.and i reminded them that the MMA will put them out of bussiness if the BS keeps walking.

last saturday's fights were the biggest dissapointments in HBO boxing,they should go to colorado springs and broadcast amateurs who will fight their hearts and soul for a couple hundred $$$.

View PostHBO made such a big deal about the rookies coming up the division etc... and last saturday's fights were out of wackmad.gif . i sent an email to HBO regarding the wrong calls and draws we've seen lately.and i reminded them that the MMA will put them out of bussiness if the BS keeps walking.

last saturday's fights were the biggest dissapointments in HBO boxing,they should go to colorado springs and broadcast amateurs who will fight their hearts and soul for a couple hundred $$$.

Are you talking about the Diaz Marquez fight? That was one of the best fights i've seen all year. Juarez got lucky with that draw, definitely home-town cooking there. The thing about boxing scoring is, it's very subjective. Some fights are easy to score, some much more difficult. The example that comes to my mind is De La Hoya Mosely2. Mosely got the decision, and HBO commentator were saying DLH was robbed. Then they went to press row, and the scores were split, some for Mosely, some for DLH. Many of the boxing websites scored for Mosely as well.

View Post,they should go to colorado springs and broadcast amateurs who will fight their hearts and soul for a couple hundred $$$.

Amatuers don't get paid. They do get a bunch of free USA Boxing stuff, jackets, bags, tee shirts, hats. Tehy also get free hotel, but have to pay their airfare. A lot of them have sponsors to pick up their training costs, but they do not get paid.