Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchman

Avet JX or Saltist 30T for bottom fishing?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I am looking for a reel that I can use mainly for fishing for party boat fishing for cod/pollack to 300ft and possibly tuna jigging.....and stripers and blues from friends boats (secondary use). I have narrowed it to a Avet JX 6/3 or Saltist 30T (Yes I looked at penn, newells, etc and they are great but lets stick with these two reels/manufacturers please). Looking to set it up with 50-65lb spectra. I hear lots of good things about the 30T, but I really do like the Avet that I already own, love the lever drag and the two speed option. The 30T seems to get slightly more drag than a JX without any handle binding, and I hear it has a lot of power....can the JX match this and handle jigs to 20+ ounces? Thanks.

The Avet is a nice reel, but serious overkill for bass and blue fish. Besides, I like lever drags for trolling and prefer star drags for jigging and bottom fishing.

For the price of the Avet, you can get the daiwa 20T for bass. blues and most cod fishing (using braid) AND the 40T for tuna jigging and deep cod.

If you like Avet reels dont try to fix whats not broken. Saltist also is a solid reel, but for the price I would choose a Torium 20 or 30 any day over the saltist. If you are looking for a reel for fishing tuna and bluefish, I would rather have a reel so large that it could manhandle a bluefish rather than comprimise the ablility to stop the scorching run of a tuna in the middle of the night of a trip that is as costly and as unpredictable as tuna fishing in the last year! If you pay for one tuna trip a year and fish bluefish everyday I would say go for a reel that you would feel comfortable fighing a tuna with. Bluefish are just mako food! You have alot of choices and ... Best of Luck!

View PostSaltist also is a solid reel, but for the price I would choose a Torium 20 or 30 any day over the saltist.

You must like lesser drag and wimpy AR gears. It's easy enough to take the reels apart to see for yourself.wink.gif

View PostThe Avet is a nice reel, but serious overkill for bass and blue fish. Besides, I like lever drags for trolling and prefer star drags for jigging and bottom fishing.

For the price of the Avet, you can get the daiwa 20T for bass. blues and most cod fishing (using braid) AND the 40T for tuna jigging and deep cod.

icon14.gif

Get the 30T with the low speed. For partyboat tuna, 65# would be the minimum with 80# or more prefered. The thinner braids saw everyone right off and are dangerous. With the 30T, I would go with 65#. Then throw on a topshot of mono.

I don't know much about the Avet, except that someone I know had to spend another $170 to get a magnetic side-plate to make the reel castable.

View PostYou must like lesser drag and wimpy AR gears. It's easy enough to take the reels apart to see for yourself.wink.gif

That was the first time I think I've ever seen someone say they prefer the Torium over the Saltist. Whatever works for you, IMO. The Torium isn't bad until its abused. I prefer the Saltists and they even get a sticky freespool over time.

View PostThat was the first time I think I've ever seen someone say they prefer the Torium over the Saltist. Whatever works for you, IMO. The Torium isn't bad until its abused. I prefer the Saltists and they even get a sticky freespool over time.

I've heard it a bunch of times. It's a testament to Shimano's big marketing budget.

They guy that turned me on to Saltists had a Torium that knuckle busted him when he hooked into a small tuna. I hear that new Saltists are coming through with carbon drag washers now, making them even better IMO.

original question was avet jx or daiwa saltilist.

jx for me... only because i'm a lefty...wink.gif will put it to the test again on 3/21 on out tilefish/seabass trip...

heard some horror stories about torium's... and also know few guys that loves them...