Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Steamers or Mussels? Oh, the Dilemma....

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Going to the fish market within an hour.......Steamers $2.99/lb......Mussels $1.79/lb........

Tonight is solo night, having Pork Roll, Egg, and Cheese........but want one or the other as a start.........

Mussels would be garlic, onion, red pepper flake, white wine, parsley......steamers would be stragiht up steamed and then butter.....

Help me decide...........

Saw the steamers this AM.......they looked fresh........they didn't have mussels, but were getting them in within an hour or two, so am sure they will be fresh........

I left without the steamers, as originally I figured since they didn't have the mussels, I would just pass, but have since re-thought that, as I don't know if just the PR,E,C is gonna cut it.........after all, it's only 2 miles down the road.........

Well, ended up with the mussels.....only drawback is that since 8:45 this AM, the price went from $1.79 to $2.49/lb.......but that's okay, shoot, they are still cheap enough.

Their sales run Thursday to Sunday (I guess the Monday to Wednesday crowd gets screwed....), so it wasn't unexpected.....had the sign still been up, would have given them some grief, but.........

Also saw that they were preparing their window signs already for next week, and saw that they had one for steamers at $1.79/lb, so that helped me to make the decision........I see steamers in my weekend plans......smile.gif

Chris..........half a ton of chopped garlic, some chopped onion, a can of Rotel, some white wine, some red pepper flake, some parsley......

Saute the garlic, onion, and pepper flake in some olive oil and butter.....add the can of Rotel, and saute a bit more. add some white wine and bring to a simmer. Dump in the mussels, cover the pot, and steam until they just open, tossing the entire pot once or twice. Top with the fresh chopped parsley and eat.................using the spent mussel shells and some good crusty bread to suck up the broth.........

You're a lucky guy. I don't see any good shellfish deals around. Here they are pushing "Swai" at $4.99. As near as I can tell just another SEAsian farmed catfish sold previously as Basa which apparently had a well deserved bad rep for hormone contamination.

View PostChris..........half a ton of chopped garlic, some chopped onion, a can of Rotel, some white wine, some red pepper flake, some parsley......

Saute the garlic, onion, and pepper flake in some olive oil and butter.....add the can of Rotel, and saute a bit more. add some white wine and bring to a simmer. Dump in the mussels, cover the pot, and steam until they just open, tossing the entire pot once or twice. Top with the fresh chopped parsley and eat.................using the spent mussel shells and some good crusty bread to suck up the broth.........

Sounds good man. Very cool.. never used Rotel before.

I'm good for some chicken stock, garlic, shallots, white wine & parsley in a cast iron pot with some pomme frites!! tongue.gif I think I know Friday's din din! May have to try the Rotel...