Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wet Head

Glad I Missed Asbury

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

With all due respect to the very talented builders we all know an love I have to ask...why does a well built plug with good action need so many.... let me say for the sake of political correctness, flamboyant outfits? I mean where the heck are the darn Jimmy Choo shoes and the Prada bag!

View PostWith all due respect to the very talented builders we all know an love I have to ask...why does a well built plug with good action need so many.... let me say for the sake of political correctness, flamboyant outfits? I mean where the heck are the darn Jimmy Choo shoes and the Prada bag!

Some do it for a hobby, some do it for the "thrill of the hunt", and some to trade. What you are asking is the same as "why buy a ferrari when a chevy will get you to the same destination"

I admit... I collect some and fish some. The ones I collect are enjoyed everytime I walk past the big book case where they are proudly displayed. I enjoy it when my friends "oooohh and ahhhh" over them. I also get the same enjoyment over the ones I do fish. I have more gear to last me a lifetime. Why not buy the "prada bag" plugs from time to time when you can?

Put yourself in the perspective of a builder:would you rather make a standard looking lure, or the most realistic one youve ever seen if you had the talent?

Nick

View PostWith all due respect to the very talented builders we all know an love I have to ask...why does a well built plug with good action need so many.... let me say for the sake of political correctness, flamboyant outfits? I mean where the heck are the darn Jimmy Choo shoes and the Prada bag!

The builders don't need them to be purty, the buyers do. A lot of guys will fish the standard issue stuff, and collect the "rare", ornate, conconctions. It's not your bag or mine. But the folks had fun and they had the opportunity to see the builders face to face- what's wrong with that? I'd have gone myself if Mike Fixter was there.

Simms waders and Hunter bags... biggrin.gif

I build mine the way I like to fish them.....as fun and as realistic as I can make them! No you certainly do not need all the fancy paint to catch fish.....but for many, to have such well made plugs that were built by guys who take a great deal of pride in their work, it gives them the confidence to fish that certain plug and that is a huge part of success when you are fishing lures....you have to be confident in what you are fishing! Some are confident with a simple yellow over white and others like a sweet scale paint job. They are all available at Asbury from what I hear...have not been as yet myself!wink.gif

I hadda few but sold most of mine's...

I have everything i need to catch any Striper out there:

Bombers

Bucktail jigs

live eel hooks

bunker hooks.

clam hooks.

I'm set! smile.gif

Todays builders are true artists,creating beautifully painted plugs to catch fisherman. Most wood swims on the surface leaving a nice V wake, fish look up and see the belly, usually white. IMO you can't beat a good swimming white or black plug for fishing. I buy em to catch fish and that they do under the right conditions.