Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bridgerat

Black Lake, NY

14 posts in this topic

I am in the early stages of planning a fishing trip for 10-12 people for a 40th bday. Lodging, boat rentals, etc. Anyone have experience at Black Lake in NY? Any other recommedations for 3-5 day trips within driving distance of LI. Trip will probably be in the month of june. Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the info. Anyone use a camp at Champlain that they would recommend? I have not fished up north before. Cottages or cabins will do since accommodations are second to fishing. wink.gif

I used to look at vermont vacation rentals dot com. The area north of mallets bay is good on the VT side. You can trailer up and down the lake and launch at VT state ramps.

The accommodations are pretty basic, but you'll be dry and and have a place to cook.

I've been vacationing @ Blake Lake for the past 10 years.I'm going up this year again. There's plenty of cabins on the lake some of them have their own launch facility,all rent boats.

The fishing has always been good,sometimes it's been great.I hear alot of guys saying it's fished out.....BS you got figure it out ,which isn't to hard.Buy a good map {www.reconmc.com} this is the website I got mine from.

The north end of the lake is shallower & weedyer.South of the Edwardsville bridge is the "big water" of the lake.I've caught in both ends of the lake.

Blake Lake IS NOT a recreational lake like Lake George. It's more fishing oreiented.

Anything more I can help ya with just ask.

View PostI've been vacationing @ Blake Lake for the past 10 years.I'm going up this year again. There's plenty of cabins on the lake some of them have their own launch facility,all rent boats.

The fishing has always been good,sometimes it's been great.I hear alot of guys saying it's fished out.....BS you got figure it out ,which isn't to hard.Buy a good map {www.reconmc.com} this is the website I got mine from.

The north end of the lake is shallower & weedyer.South of the Edwardsville bridge is the "big water" of the lake.I've caught in both ends of the lake.

Blake Lake IS NOT a recreational lake like Lake George. It's more fishing oreiented.

Anything more I can help ya with just ask.

Thanks for the info. I talked to someone from a fishing camp on Black Lake at the suffern show. I thought the lake looked and sounded good. I got concerned when he started talking about the great bowfin fishing. I don't know much about bowfin. I'm looking for smalleys & pike. Anyway, the place seemed good but no food package. Are there good places to eat around there? We will be fishing all day everyday and won't be looking to do much cooking.

Have fished Black Lake for all my life. I am 49.

In 1969, at age 9 I caught 62 calico's, all over 9" in 62 casts. Wow, what a day! Back in those days folks threw "crappies" back but we filleted them and had fish fries each week. Back in those days, fish you got in restaurants was not refrigerated when netted and because of that, it always smelled and tasted fishy.

Last year, my grandson and I got into large mouth bass. We had 2 on at once and he had 2 on at once. He still talks about it. These were nice bass caught on jigs with a big of worm.

It is a good family fishing lake. Ogdensburg is not so far away and has all of the amenties you might want. Edwardsville is where we like to go though. We stay at Camp Carol and have since the 50's Back then it was my parents going. They still go for a week each year at age 77. Mom once caught a 36" pike at Black Lake on 6 lb test. Dad was reeling in a 10" calico on 6 pound test in 1975 when a musky swallowed the calico. He did get that 48" musky in the boat. When we cleaned it, in it's belly was the calico and a partially digested 19" walleye. My uncle cleaned and ate the calico in the belly.

I don't see swimmers or skiers or jet ski's on this lake. Lots of grumpy old men fishing boats and lately a few fisherman with fancy fishing boats like you see on TV. I would like to take this opportunity to remind people with fancy fast boats that on a fishing lake like Black Lake, most fisherman still follow the courtesy rules by not zooming by fishing fisherman. YOU gotta throttle it back. Some of these jokers today spend more time driving their boats that putting their lines in the water.

A good way to find the fish is to ask around and see where the fish are you are looking for. If you are humble and cordial, you will get answers.

Drifting is a great way to find crappies and that is still my favorite fish to fish for. I put a shiner out the back with a big bobber for the pike.

The perch have grubs in them. It won't hurt you but we don't keep them.

Watch for rocks until you learn the lake.

Also, great bullhead fishing at night from shore. Lots of bullfrogs, too.

Hope this helps.

Hi Blueberry,my wife & I stayed @ Camp Carol for the last 2 years.This year we're staying @ Northcontry because Camp Carol was booked for the July 4th.

Hi JD,

What we do is reserve for the following year before leaving for this year. We have a cabin rented for Memorial Day for this year and Ann takes reservations one year ahead. So as we pay our bill, we reserve it for the following year. This has worked since the 1960's for our family. What a mother lode of memories!

Good luck at your new location, if you are not happy, I would go talk with Ann and see if she can find you an opening for future years and then be sure to keep it.

Blueberry

View PostHi JD,

What we do is reserve for the following year before leaving for this year. We have a cabin rented for Memorial Day for this year and Ann takes reservations one year ahead. So as we pay our bill, we reserve it for the following year. This has worked since the 1960's for our family. What a mother lode of memories!

Good luck at your new location, if you are not happy, I would go talk with Ann and see if she can find you an opening for future years and then be sure to keep it.

Blueberry

Yup we do the same thing Blueberry but what happened this year is July 4th fell on a Sat., checkin day.So her people that are always there for the 4th got 1st shot @ that week.so we got shut out.

Oh well,we went and looked @ Northcountry last year,the cabin we're renting is very nice.