Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wayneo99

abu 5500cl3

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I came across this reel when cleaning out some stuff. A little dusty but in good shape.

went to put some line on it and the spool tension knob was giving me problems.

In order to have a nice free spool the thumb screw knob has to be so loose that it acutally un threads as you retrieve.

I took the real apart and it was very clean, no salt or dirt at all. Lubed it up and put it back together.

everything else works great except to keep the thumb screw from backing out on its own the free spool is to tight.

I changed the o-ring, There is a small plastic clip and paper washer that goes on before the thumb screw, not sure how to tell if they are in good shape.

I have the reel diagram and all the parts are in the correct place.

I remember that this is why I put it away and forgot about it.

Any thoughts?

There should be no paper washer anywhere. And before that spool tension cap goes on, clip that round black plastic piece onto the end of the spool shaft. Than put your spool tension cap on. smile.gif

This may sound obvious, but I've done it myself.......make sure the spindle is fully pushed into the black plastic clip until it clicks into place.

This is easiest if you remove the sideplate, screw on the end cap with clip inside, then push the spool & spindle firmly into place.

When you say paper washer, do you mean a thin copper shim?

That is what should be in the end cap.

Hope this works!!!