Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrTeek

Replacing the ceramic ring

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

One of my rods recently had the ceramic ring inside the guide crack and fall out. The guide is in perfect condition, I just want to put a new ring in.

Is this possible? Or do I need to replace the whole guide instead? Also, could you guys recommend a tackle shop in the central NJ area that can do this for me?

My pardons if this is a repost I tried searching with no luck (as it usually is in my casewink.gif).

It's possible, if the person doing it knew how to replace teh ring, and had extra rings laying around. The realit is you're going to need the guide to be rewrapped

Sorry guys for the long response, my computer has been out of commission recently. The rod I'm looking at is a 9' st. croix triumph. Any tackle shops that do rod repairs in the central NJ area?

I have seen people successfully put a ring back in when it fell out but didn't break. I have never seen a ring alone for sale so I don't know where you could get one. I also think you should just replace the whole guide

I've done it several times. Take the ring from a new guide by heating the guide and destroying the adhesive. Flame from a gas range works fine. Try to heat the guide evenly and gradually, i.e. don't just plunge the entire cold guide into the hottest part of the flame. After allowing to cool, the ring will easily come out without damage, but just in case, check for cracks by running the cutting edge of a razor blade around the inside of the ring.

Remove traces of burned glue from the edge of the ring with silicon carbide wet/dry paper, #220 or so grit. Wife's diamond fingernail file also works well, just don't let her see you. Don't scratch the inside of the ring. Scrape all traces of old glue from the guide frame on the rod. Throughly clean bonding surfaces with rag/acetone. Coat the edge of the ceramic ring with epoxy and insert into frame, center the outside edge of the ring with respect to the frame. Build a small bead of epoxy between the frame and ring on both sides of the frame. This will hold the ring captive in the event of bond failure between epoxy and frame. Clean up excess with acetone, rag, Q-tip, whatever is most convenient.

I've done this with fuji hardalloy and sic guides. Obviously this won't work with shock rings or guides where the metal frame is rolled around the ceramic ring, holding it captive.

What type of epoxy? Guys love to chase each other's tails round and round on this subject. I don't want to play so I'll just state that I've used Marine Tex; white, if you don't care; grey, if you do. Most any type of structural grade epoxy should be fine. I'd avoid 5 minute type or thread finish.

With judicious application of heat lamp rod can be put back into service in 8 hours or so, maybe a bit less.

Final note: It takes longer to write this than it does to complete the repair.

-'butcher

Flame from a gas range works fine. ??? I don't think that's a smart idea! Either bring the rod to a B&T or send it back to ST Croix! I had it happen to me on a Loomis & sent it back,They sent me a new Rod no Charge & the Rod was at least 5 yrs old!!

Not at all. SIC ring dissipate teh heat rather quickly compared to teh stainless frames. TEhy cool off in about 10 seconds, I don't use the flame to heat mine up. IT's not the recommended method or fixinga brokenguide, but that's what the guy was asking.

View PostI've done it several times. Take the ring from a new guide by heating the guide and destroying the adhesive.

I've added some emphasis to the above quote. Perhaps it will help, perhaps not, so I'll spell it out a bit further.

I was attempting to offer the reader a method for obtaining a ceramic ring separated from the metal frame. As someone has correctly noted, these rings are unavailable as a separate item. The method requires the sacrifice of a new or even used guide. The used guide can even have a bent or broken frame, the only requirements are that the ceramic ring be undamaged, and the guide from which the ring is being harvested not be attached to any rod, and the ring being harvested be of the same dimensions and type as the ring being replaced.cwm40.gif Hey, one can even take the ring from a cheap guide to replace the ring of an expensive guide, like titanium!

I guess that for the sake of completeness, I should add: Be sure to hold the guide with pliers while heating, otherwise painful burns on the fingers will result. To recap, the reason for heating the guide is to destroy the glue so you can harvest the ring from it and replace the lost one on the rod that you are repairing.

As for the longevity of the repair, I'll only state that of the several guides that I have repaired none have failed, even after long and arduous service.

Billy et al: Where do you guys find your patience for this?

-'butcher, clear.

Billy is right. The original question was about replacing the ring.

My advice is to check the warranty first. The manufacturer may give you a new one.

If not, takeit to a competent tackle repair shop and let them do it.

I can replace a guide probably as fast as fooling around with replacing a ring and I won't have to worry about it falling out. It always happens when you least expect and need it.

Don't ake a chance JMHO C2