Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hairy Beast

Washington Post Editorial: Obama Should Pay Attention To Market, Stop Attacking Rush.

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

It has begun, folks. Today's Washington Post editorial is dedicated to all of you who thought the Limbaugh attacks were pure gold, heheh.

The title and four snippets should give you the gist, but I urge you to read the whole thing.

The Storm

As an economic hurricane rages, Washington tunes in to Rush Limbaugh.

Sunday, March 8, 2009; Page A18

Like a human body on life support, the U.S. economy cannot survive on Fed-generated liquidity indefinitely. Restarting the private financial system is the foundation of economic recovery. It is more urgent than any of the new priorities, however laudable, embodied in President Obama's $3.6 trillion budget proposal -- over which Congress, and legions of lobbyists, are preparing to battle. It is also a condition of realizing any of his long-term goals.

We understand that these initiatives won't bear fruit immediately. Yet the president cannot relax his focus in the meantime. Nor can he dismiss the market's negative reaction, justified or not, to his financial rescue plans. For better or worse, stocks are crucial to the well-being of tens of millions of Americans via pension plans, 401(k)s and IRAs.

To restate: America's economy faces disaster; averting it depends on financial rehabilitation. That is government's most urgent task -- as urgent, in its way, as responding to Pearl Harbor or Sept. 11, 2001. For the president, this does not mean abandoning all other tasks and priorities. It does mean subordinating them to the task that matters most: ensuring that his understaffed team is putting as many resources as possible toward financial recovery and being ready to adjust his plans if, as seems likely, his budget forecasts soon prove overly rosy. For his opposition, it does not mean abandoning principle. It does mean working with the president for the good of the nation, even at the expense of partisan gain.

And yet for the past several days, Washington has been consumed by the point-scoring possibilities of a flap over commentator Rush Limbaugh. It is almost unbelievable that grown men and women in government, of either party, are spending time and energy on this. The whole world is watching, counting on Washington for leadership. The president and lawmakers of both parties must provide it.

I seldom agree with the WaPo but I do this time.

Do you seriously blame this team of over matched clowns for wanting to talk about ANYTHING else? We elected a neophyte. The market is telling us that we were wrong to do so.

View PostDo you seriously blame this team of over matched clowns for wanting to talk about ANYTHING else? We elected a neophyte. The market is telling us that we were wrong to do so.

yeah they thought they could score some pol points with this Rush attack and take attention away from the Market slide. It has blown up in their face.

I am going to listen to Rush tomorrow for sure, he should have a BALL with this!

View PostDo you seriously blame this team of over matched clowns for wanting to talk about ANYTHING else? We elected a neophyte. The market is telling us that we were wrong to do so.

You really have crossed over to the lunacy bin. biggrin.gif

Obama made one comment to the Pubs as to El *****Bo and that was that they would have to do more then listen to RL to get things going.

Overmatched ???? cwm27.gifcwm27.gif

View PostYou really have crossed over to the lunacy bin. biggrin.gif

Obama made one comment to the Pubs as to El *****Bo and that was that they would have to do more then listen to RL to get things going.

Overmatched ???? cwm27.gifcwm27.gif

MSNBC's Chuck Todd (and some newsy-nonentity I've never heard of) must be loony too. From friday:

From Chuck Todd and Domenico Montanaro

The return of partisanship:
The biggest lesson to draw from
the White House-Limbaugh fight
: Partisan politics and divided Washington are back. The methodical effort by the white house to raise Limbaugh's profile is obvious now. And now the GOP is making a concerted effort to demonize Rahm. On one level, it's a reminder of just how hard it is for any president to change the tone in Washington. On the other, we do wonder what the GOP is going to get out of this decision to demonize Rahm while defending Obama. Oddly, they may end up helping Obama look above the fray. You've heard of the expression punching down; the GOP is punching down, not up. And
the White House, while deserving of some of the blame for participating in the renewed negative tone affecting DC
, is still smiling as, politically, they do look like they are winning.

Think they are winning? Heh.

Only in the Dream world of MSNBC are they winning.

They were foolish to attack Rush, what possible good could come of it?

I heard some where that his audience has doubled in the past couple weeks.

He's laughing all the way to the bank.

Now rather than the usual bad mouthing of his liberal agenda, he will pound him daily on a personal level, 3 hr's a day , 5 days a week. How can that help Obama.

The Clinton play book isn't going to work. He should have ignored him.

View PostOh an article the from the MSM which is all a crock.... cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Remember using that for 9 years running??? Too much cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

So let me get this one straight, too. Rahm Emmanuel (and the White House) didn't attack Rush?

From Reuters news:

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, a former member of the U.S. Congress, told CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday that Limbaugh "is the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs followed up on Monday, telling reporters they should ask Republicans "whether they agree with what Rush Limbaugh said....Do they want to see the president's economic agenda fail?"

Obama's former campaign manager, Democratic consultant David Plouffe, wrote in an opinion article in The Washington Post that congressional Republicans who voted against a $787 billion economic stimulus plan "have let their strategy be guided by their most conservative base."

If Republicans stick with this strategy, he said, "We may find out what it means for a political party to hit rock bottom."

All you have to do is use the google machine. I recommend key words: "Rush White House Attack". This is in the "Everybody Knows" category.

Everybody but you, it seems.

Such junior varsity mistakes these guys are making... And when they're not doing that, the mistakes are catestophic. My God, I'd rather have Bill Clinton back at this point, and that's saying something. Never thought anyone could get me to think so.

View PostSuch junior varsity mistakes these guys are making... And when they're not doing that, the mistakes are catestophic. My God, I'd rather have Bill Clinton back at this point, and that's saying something. Never thought anyone could get me to think so.

All those years as an insurgent minority did not prepare them to govern. These maneuvers are the kind you use when you're not in charge. They're tactics in lieu of strategy - or perhaps tactics designed to hide the fact you have no strategy.

View PostSo let me get this one straight, too. Rahm Emmanuel (and the White House) didn't attack Rush?

From Reuters news:

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, a former member of the U.S. Congress, told CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday that Limbaugh "is the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs followed up on Monday, telling reporters they should ask Republicans "whether they agree with what Rush Limbaugh said....Do they want to see the president's economic agenda fail?"

Obama's former campaign manager, Democratic consultant David Plouffe, wrote in an opinion article in The Washington Post that congressional Republicans who voted against a $787 billion economic stimulus plan "have let their strategy be guided by their most conservative base."

If Republicans stick with this strategy, he said, "We may find out what it means for a political party to hit rock bottom."

All you have to do is use the google machine. I recommend key words: "Rush White House Attack". This is in the "Everybody Knows" category.

Everybody but you, it seems.

You said Obama did`nt you? I know and read all. Rahm saying anything to Rush is fine by me. All Rush does is say slanted lies and crazy ****e about Obama and the Dems anyway. The guy should be shot for treason IMO. smile.gif

View PostYou said Obama did`nt you? I know and read all. Rahm saying anything to Rush is fine by me. All Rush does is say slanted lies and crazy ****e about Obama and the Dems anyway. The guy should be shot for treason IMO. smile.gif

Lol!

jed-clampett-beverly-hillbillies.jpg

Yer doin' a lot of choppin' but no chips're flyin'!