Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billthe5th

wacky rigged floating worm??

17 posts in this topic

don't hear much about the floating worms any more. I have a few that never saw much use, but i was thinking of trying the wacky rig with them.

I fish alot of shallow lakes with nasty bottom, so any good tactic must involve staying off that bottom. the fish are often too finicky for topwaters, and even soft jerkbaits have to be moved too quicly sometimes.

seems like it would be a good way to work shallow cover very thoroughly.

Bill, believe it or not, I have actually used a wacky senko on topwater before. Just as a test to see what would happen, on the very first cast I started an erratic retrieve and the worm pulsated very nicely on top. After about 3-4 seconds, a nice 2 lb'er slams the bait and I hookup. Took me by surprise. Try it out and tell us how you do.

View Postdefine nasty bottoms.

scummy, leaves, various debris, algae,duckweed

the kind of stuff that will foul any weedless lure, even if its a weightless soft plastic that just lightly skims the bottom.

View PostBill, believe it or not, I have actually used a wacky senko on topwater before. Just as a test to see what would happen, on the very first cast I started an erratic retrieve and the worm pulsated very nicely on top. After about 3-4 seconds, a nice 2 lb'er slams the bait and I hookup. Took me by surprise. Try it out and tell us how you do.

you mean the regular senko that usually sinks? you just kept it moving so it stayed on top?

View Postyou mean the regular senko that usually sinks? you just kept it moving so it stayed on top?

Yep. A floating worm would be better due to the fact you can stop retrieve and still keep it on top, otherwise, there isn't really any difference.

View Postyou mean the regular senko that usually sinks? you just kept it moving so it stayed on top?

Use a light hook and it doesn't sink very quickky. You can keep it on or near the top easily.

Bill, you could also just a larger worm, like a 6 or 7 inch with a large gauge worm hook and/or a suspendot wrapped around the hook to get you a very slooow fall rate. This method works well around thick weeds, etc.

the sluggo works, looking for something slower still, jsut throwing the idea out there.

what is slow for aggressive fish is still too fast in some situations.

carolina rig woudl probably have 5# of slime on the weight by the time i got it in.

as far as what joker said.....last summer a number of times i was fishing usin senkos....sun started goin down and i used the senko as topwater........actually if worked right its works great! a quick retrieve and jerk motion and it looks like a huge bug on top of the water........i landed some real nice bass that way biggrin.gif

View Postas far as what joker said.....last summer a number of times i was fishing usin senkos....sun started goin down and i used the senko as topwater........actually if worked right its works great! a quick retrieve and jerk motion and it looks like a huge bug on top of the water........i landed some real nice bass that way biggrin.gif

I like this idea.wink.gif