Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EelTosser

Sooo, saw some FLA GAR!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So, I'm in Florida, on this river a couple of days a go, and this place has glass bottom boats, and I see all these kick arse, freekin' GAR, man.

They were awesome!smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Who knows what I'm talkin' about?beers.gif

If this is the same place I have been to the guide threw a stick at a baby wood duck nest. and the little duckies all jumped in the water. Looking through the bottom of the boat what looked like small sticks in the water, grew larger and larger until you saw a 6 foot monster, and then Baboom bye bye little duckies. The opening of that spring is something like 200 feet deep making it one of largest spring fed rivers in the world. You can see al the way down If your sketchy about heights its an eerie feeling. It is also connected to the draining of Lake Jackson. Really cool place. Great bass fishing you can rent a canoe at your own risk a few mile down the road.

I could be way off and it not even be the river, but it is a place that everyone should visit it is absolutely incredible.

These links don't contain any adds just some pics and info

lake jackson draining

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/g...acksonsink.htm

wakulla river

http://www.wakullacounty.org/wakulla-30.htm

I was fishing for snook with my father in a brackish canal near tampa , artificials on 10lb. test and he caught one around 20 lbs. ! Kicked his arse ! Pretty cool though , even jumped a couple times.

View PostThey'll hit anything, but they're not easy to get a hook into.

I'm not sure, but I think I've seen a particular technique where the angler uses a 'lasso'(sp) type rig where they put a piece of bait within a loop of fishing line (or rope???) and when the fish takes the bait, the angler then pulls on the line, causing the loop to tighten around the snout of the fish.

View PostThey'll hit anything, but they're not easy to get a hook into.

They're fun to catch with appropriate(big game) tackle.

The secret to 'hooking them' is to use strands of nylon sort of like a string mop to tangle in their teeth. Don't even waste your time with a hook.

When a kid in Louisiana, we used to catch and eat the fish gars, but not the Alligator Gars. C2