Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Kingsford Competition Charcoal-seen it yet?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Could be some neat stuff, I just got my first 2 bags today, will light it up tomorrow.

These briquettes are ground lump charcoal (and nothing else) held together with some vegetable matter paste. The theory is it burns smooth and controlled like a briquette but smells tastes, and ashes like lump.

I have been using Wicked Good Charcoal brand lump briquettes for a couple years now. its the only thing that goes in the WSM, and I like it in the drums too. In the WSM i know it helps control temp and adds time. It just burn so slow and smooth. I have never burned it on a grill cause it costs too darn much (10 bucks for 8 pounds), but I will try that with the Kingsford.

Its a bit cheaper-11 bucks for 12 pounds-so its going to have to be the bomb to wean me off WGC.

Word on the street is it burns a little hot and fast. Better for grilling, we will see. Reviews (not to mention ribs) to follow.

Interesting. I just picked up eight bags of Wicked Good, but have yet to try it. While I'm a total novice with the Big Green Egg, I don't care much for Big Green Egg charcoal....it sparks, pops and burns unevenly. An Egg dealer told me he does not recommend it at all and steers people to Wicked Good.

Lump right?.

WGC is as good as charcoal gets IMO. Egg brand lump is Royal Oak

I am not a true egghead, but i am sure you could burn WGC briquettes in an egg, they make very little ash.

Well no good comparison today. The wind was blowing like hell and I fooled with the lid last night to try to get a better seal and only changed it a bit.

I did notice that the coal would flare up way hotter and faster than other stuff when I pulled the lid.

A very tasty failure.

I found Royal Oak at Walmart today, and despite it being the same stuff as Big Green Egg, I picked up 12-10lb bags for $6.00 per bag which seemed like very good deal. Certainly better than $11 per bag under the Big Green Egg label. My charcoal collection now consists of eight 20lb bags of Wicked Good, and today's haul. the wicked good will be used for long, slow smokes and the Royal Oak for routine grills such as steaks, burgers pizza etc.

Believe it or not there are two "grades" of RO lump! Wally has the cheaper grade, and there is a better one, that is the BGE.

The difference is minimal, I think.

I grilled with the Kingsford Comp tonight in the kettle. When I set up a kettle with regular Kingsford in the charcoal baskets and the butterfly vents on the bottom, it will run just around 320 on the dome. This stuff was around 370. Burned a bit hotter and faster, the ash was a fraction of regular K, but a little more than regular lump

WGC briquettes is still the champ.

Stubbs Brand is putting out a lump briquette, its going in Lowe's, so one left to try (made by Cowboy brand, big minus right off the bat)

View PostHey Rich, where you picking up Wicked Good, I've never seen it around here.

Nanz,

Wicked Good can be purchased at Hometown Hearth 240 Route 10 West

Whippany, NJ 07981 (973) 463-0319

They have a huge selection of grills, accessories and charcoal, but the guy said that far and away Wicked Good is their best seller.

Wicked Good can be purchased at Hometown Hearth 240 Route 10 West

Whippany, NJ 07981 (973) 463-0319

I work across the street from that place and have never stopped there, I knew they had grills, but never thought about charcoal cwm40.gif