Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rpsurf5

Fishing Ban at Shoreham Beach - Meeting March 18th - ATTENDEES NEEDED

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

On Wednesday March 18th at 7:30 pm, Mark Lesko and Tim Mazzei who are running for Brookhaven Town Supervisor will be at a meet the candidates night sponsored by the Shoreham Civic Association. As some of you may or may not know, last year the Town Board banned fishing and boating at Shoreham Beach which is a public beach. People had been fishing this beach for years. Since then numerous individuals and organizations have been fighting this ban, but in spite of thousands of letters, emails, phone calls and meetings, this ban still stands. However, the pressure from all of these efforts is paying off. Our voices are being heard and we are making a difference. We need to keep the pressure on. At this meeting the politicians need to hear our concerns and answer our questions on fishing access in Brookhaven.

Thursday night there was a similar meeting in Rocky Point, almost ½ of the people who showed up were fisherman and our voices were heard. We need a very strong showing at the Shoreham meeting. We can't let our rights be trampled upon and be taken away from us. If we lose access here, the next politician or town who tries to take away access to "their" beach won't think twice about it. Once we lose access it is very difficult to get it back. If we win this one, it will be a deterrent to the next politician or town who tries to take away our access.

The areas and nation's economy has crumbled underneath the feet of the politicians who are elected to lead us. Every day the politicians reach into our pockets one more time to help bail out another company. As our jobs are lost, our 401ks disappear, one of the things we enjoy most, a day on the beach has wrongfully been taken away from us. The Public Trust Doctrine guarantees people their rights to the beaches. The ban of fishing at Shoreham Beach violates this. We need to continue to stand up for our rights.

Do not assume that someone else will go and take care of this issue. Every person and every voice counts. We all spend a tremendous amount of time every year thinking about fishing, planning fishing trips and being on the water. Take a couple of hours of your time to attend the meeting and stand up for your rights to insure we keep our access now and for future generations. Even if you do not fish this beach, we need your support. Your favorite surf spot or boat launch could be next.

Many of you have sent letters, signed the petition and attended meetings, it is very much appreciated. It is having an impact, but there still is a lot of work to do.

I hope to see as many people as possible at this meeting.

Thanks,

John Russell

Directions to Shoreham Civic Meetings

Meetings are in the all-purpose room at the Miller Avenue elementary school in Shoreham.

From the west, via Rte. 347 and Rte. 25A

Follow 347 east to Port Jefferson and continue on Rte. 25A.

In Rocky Point, after the light at Rocky Point Road (Kohl's and Michael's in the shopping center on your right), stay to the right and follow the Rocky Point Bypass. The Bypass rejoins the business route at Woodville Road.

Pass the traffic lights at Randall Road and the Shoreham Plaza. Immediately after Shoreham Plaza (on your left), turn left (north) on Miller Avenue.

The school is on the right side of the road, just before it ends at North Country Road

From east or west, via the LIE

Take the LIE east to Exit 68 (William Floyd Pkwy). Go north on the William Floyd (toward Brookhaven Lab and Wading River) and follow it to the end (Rte. 25A)

Turn left (west) at Rte. 25A. Turn right at the first traffic light (Miller Avenue).

The school is on the right side of the road, just before it ends at North Country Road.

From the east, via Rte. 25A

Take Rte. 25A west, past the William Floyd Pkwy. Turn right at the first traffic light after the William Floyd (Miller Avenue).

The school is on the right side of the road, just before it ends at North Country Road.

We had a good amount of surfcasters at the Rocky Point meeting ( when compaired to the total amount of people there ) maybe we can do alittle better in Shoreham, this is soooo important to reopen that beach and also open up other areas. Brian

We need to fill the place with fisherman. Rocky Point meeting was great, but we need ALOT more people.

If you live in the area, Brookhaven especially and are reading this post , you need to be at this meeting.

I'll try to make the trip up. You know what would be fantastic is if we all wore our SOL Hoodies. Oh. Nevermind.

Just kidding, but I will try to show up.

No, you do not need to be from the Town of Brookhaven to attend. Since this is a Town of Brookhaven election , the more residents the better. But there will be plenty of people there ( myself included) who do not live in the town. The fisherman need to make their presence felt.

Thanks to all who are planning on attending !

In 1968 while a grad student at SUNY Stony Brook I used to shoot clay pigeons (in the fall and winter, to keep my shotgun eye tuned) on the beach at Rocky Point. I never was stopped. Times have changed.

Now that just put a smile on my face. You may legally within your rights to shoot a shot gun off the beach over there. (not completely sure on that though). They duck hunt with shot guns right off the beach near my house on the south shore and are never bothered. I can just imagine the uproar over on Shoreham Beach.

This is a key meeting for fisherman to show up too. The politicians were very impressed with the turnout for the last meeting and will have no choice to have their eyes and ears wide open with a massive turnout in Shoreham. It is coming very apparent to them that we are not going to let the discrimination and violation of rights slide.

I will be leaving Patchogue to attend the meeting in Shoreham on the 18th. If you will like to attend but need a ride, I can pick you up on the way. Just PM me to make contact.

View PostI will be leaving Patchogue to attend the meeting in Shoreham on the 18th. If you will like to attend but need a ride, I can pick you up on the way. Just PM me to make contact.

That's a good idea.

I'm in Coram-- if anyone needs a lift drop me a PM. I don't mind traveling a bit to get you.

after the meeting starts?

I commute to NYC and can't get back to Ronk until 7:15 or so at the earliest

Can cruise up to the meeting from there - just don't want to make the drive and then get stuck not being able to get in

Thanks - Ed

The last meeting was held at a VFW hall. The doors were open all through the meeting with seats available.

THE ELECTION IS AT THE END OF THIS MONTH. ALL WE ASK FOR IS YOUR PRESENCE TO MAKE THE STATEMENT.

NO SPEECHES NECESSARY. 60-90 MINUTES OF YOUR TIME IS ALL IT TAKES.

Will do my damnest to get there

Anyone else ride the iron horse from Ronk and need a lift ? Planning on getting the 5:41 from NYC to get me to Ronk at 6:49 (LIRR time of course)