Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roundman

Fenwick Big Surf Stick

9 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Fenwick Big Surf Stick in almost mint condition. It is the model rated for 1-4 oz. I have used it once pompano fishing but thought it might have some collector value so I put it up. I have the original sales advertisement that has a short article by I think John Holden on how to power cast. The rod has spinning guides. Does anyone have any idea what the rod is worth. Not looking to sell it right know but was just wondering if I have something that has some value or just another old rod.

It's a very good stick. One of the last factory rods that Fenwick made in Washington State before they moved their rod building overseas and stopped making blanks. I'd say it's easily worth $200 to someone who knows and appreciates those rods..

As I recall, the Big Surfstix came with "dual rung" guides and could take both spinning and conventional reels. They predate modern braids and the guide size and spacing was set up for mono.

Ditch Jigger, thanks for the reply, I had no idea it was worth that much. I would not call the guides on this rod dual use. The stripper is a chrome ceramic guide that looks to be a 50mm guide. The rest of the guides are the same material and typical spacing for a spinning rod. I think the only flaw with the rod is that the foam grips feel like they have hardened over time probably from being stored in a garage in Florida (heat) and one grip looks like there is some pitting on the end of one grip (not sure what caused that but it looks almost like termites). The guides and wrapping are flawless.

I have 2 fenwicks I bought them in 1975 one is 10 1/2' surf spinner and the other was 8' it is now 7 1/2' still use them both, very happy with them

View PostDitch Jigger, thanks for the reply, I had no idea it was worth that much. I would not call the guides on this rod dual use. The stripper is a chrome ceramic guide that looks to be a 50mm guide. The rest of the guides are the same material and typical spacing for a spinning rod. I think the only flaw with the rod is that the foam grips feel like they have hardened over time probably from being stored in a garage in Florida (heat) and one grip looks like there is some pitting on the end of one grip (not sure what caused that but it looks almost like termites). The guides and wrapping are flawless.

Now you've got me wondering whether they sold factory rods in both spinning or conventional confused.gifheadscratch.gif

The other possibility is that since they also sold Big Surfstix blanks, it could have been custom built.

I am about 100% positive that this is a factory wrap job. It has a Fenwick logos just above the fore grip and a big decal saying "Big SURFSTIK" on the upper part of Rod just above where the two pieces mate. It says it is the SURF 3 model rated from 2-4 oz. I misquoted originally when I said 1-4 oz. I appreciate your interest. You really think these are worth $200??

View PostI am about 100% positive that this is a factory wrap job. It has a Fenwick logos just above the fore grip and a big decal saying "Big SURFSTIK" on the upper part of Rod just above where the two pieces mate. It says it is the SURF 3 model rated from 2-4 oz. I misquoted originally when I said 1-4 oz. I appreciate your interest. You really think these are worth $200??

There are some Fenwick loyalists out there who'd probably love to get their hands on one--see the post right below your last one. wink.gif

Lamigas tried to copy them for a couple of years with a few blanks that they called their "English Surf" series--graphite butt, white E-glass tip section split 70/30 tip and butt. They never caught on like the Surfstiks.

These were set up to be cast or spin fron the factory. The guides were on the big side though. They made several sizes made Surf 1 to surf 5. These all were made with graphite HMG butts and Fenglas (S-glass) tops. The best of the best. Would love to see someone make these in blanks again, Very strong and great actions. The Surf 3 to 5 were called the power casters!