Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
K. Yberg

Help for Spring

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I just did a little research and for 2009 spring will fall on march 20. What is the significance of spring in fishing the beach? Im kinda inexperienced and just looking for the right time to run to the beach and ditch school. dont worry i got good grades ahah. beatin.gif any help would be appreciated!

Don't bother ditching school!!

There are plenty of opportunities at night, in fact usually better ones.

Although daybreak is great, and I would fish it, bail in time to get to school, and you can stow your fish in the fridge at the cafeteriasmile.gif

By mid April the fish begin to show up reasonably well, but come late April things turn a lot better.

Mid May into June you have weakfish showing up in the bays and inlet areas, and the small bluefish are almost a sure shot at first light in inlet areas.

Small tins like diamond jigs are inexpensive, cast very well and the blues love themicon14.gif

Once you get out of school for the season, things should be in full swing, and you can fish all night and work all day.

The great thing about being so young, is you can go without sleep for the summerbiggrin.gif

So i should wait till about april ishh at night to get back out on the beach or piers ? I kinda undestand that the water needs to warm up but im kinda bored right now. is there any type of fishing now?

Fished the hook yesterday. Nothin. But it sure was nice to walk the beach, throw a couple of new plugs I won at the fling. Check out the action. Man that beachmaster swims nice. I realy missed the sound of the waves crashing. I LOVE LIVIN BY THE BEACH.heart.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

Yesterday's weather had me going nuts, felt like I needed to start MY migration to the garage and round up the gear biggrin.gif

For me, I usually start late April along south shore inlets and back bays, middle of the night til dawn is all I can manage with my schedule. Come June i'll start to hit the open beaches.

Early spring late sunny afternoons can be productive if you can find shallow flats where the warmer water will hold bait bait fish.

i feel like its time to do my research and maybe go get some new plugs. Anyone know where i can get a topographical map of long island? i wanna find those shallow spots in and along freeport.

View Posti feel like its time to do my research and maybe go get some new plugs. Anyone know where i can get a topographical map of long island? i wanna find those shallow spots in and along freeport.

Google Earth will give you satellite images of the sea bottom, and you can interpret depth pretty well in moderately shallow water.

Otherwise, check out Capt Seagull's charts for boating. Very good, and will last a lifetime. They are also waterproof, so they are great for the car and boat.

View PostGoogle Earth will give you satellite images of the sea bottom, and you can interpret depth pretty well in moderately shallow water.

Otherwise, check out Capt Seagull's charts for boating. Very good, and will last a lifetime. They are also waterproof, so they are great for the car and boat.

google earth now has the sea floor in 3d, it shows - feet over the water and its a damn good judge of the depth..

View Postgoogle earth now has the sea floor in 3d, it shows - feet over the water and its a damn good judge of the depth..

I just saw the promo for that a few weeks ago. So the bathymetric info is up and running!!!beers.gif

Water temp has risen a few degrees in the past week. Went from 37 degrees to an average of 42 degrees in the Jones Inlet area.

I was surfing all weekend and obviously its still Ice cold but the couple Degrees did make a bit of a difference and was noticeable. Seems to me that the time is nearing and I'll will certainly begin attempting to slay very very soon. wink.gifbeers.gif