Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Rustyhook

Is it common to find Ballyhoo

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Along the flats of the Indian river in the Stuart/ Jensen Beach area? I have been netting finger mullet and some Cobs for bait and have netted dozens of Ballyhoo.

They are about 10" and I first thought they were needle fish and stayed away from them. But on a couple of casts I had as many as a dozen in the net.

How are they for bait in the surf and or using them live while wading the river.

View PostAlong the flats of the Indian river in the Stuart/ Jensen Beach area? I have been netting finger mullet and some Cobs for bait and have netted dozens of Ballyhoo.

They are about 10" and I first thought they were needle fish and stayed away from them. But on a couple of casts I had as many as a dozen in the net.

How are they for bait in the surf and or using them live while wading the

river.

I see them alot at night when the shrimp are running. Usually under lights. I would imagine they would be fantastic bait, especially at about 10" long. I don't use bait so I can't say from personal experience.

View PostAlong the flats of the Indian river in the Stuart/ Jensen Beach area? I have been netting finger mullet and some Cobs for bait and have netted dozens of Ballyhoo.

How are they for bait in the surf and or using them live while wading the river.

I would use both, Snook love Needlefish and as for the Ballyhoo, everything eats them. The hoos are delicate though so secure them to you hook with sting.smile.gif