Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tesla

Buying a used kayak

16 posts in this topic

I have been reading this forum for quite awhile and you guys are really pushing me to expand my fishing world.

There is a wealth of great information here and I was hoping to get a little guidance on what to look for both good and bad when going over a potential purchase.

I have a budget,around eight hundred,and a general idea of what would make a decent fishing kayak (thanks to you guys)

I realize that this is kind of like looking for a used car and I may have to look around a bit and maybe settle a bit, but sometimes you get lucky.

Thanks,

Gary

View PostI have been reading this forum for quite awhile and you guys are really pushing me to expand my fishing world.

There is a wealth of great information here and I was hoping to get a little guidance on what to look for both good and bad when going over a potential purchase.

I have a budget,around eight hundred,and a general idea of what would make a decent fishing kayak (thanks to you guys)

I realize that this is kind of like looking for a used car and I may have to look around a bit and maybe settle a bit, but sometimes you get lucky.

Thanks,

Gary

First, you won't regret it. It's a blast just to be out on a yak, fishing is a bonus. I think your biggest roadblock is finding a used yak. Most of the major brands will serve you well, and can be used in most situations. Is there anything out of the ordinary, or any special considerations, about the fishing that you plan to do?

Mr Freeze, need some more info. Where are you fishing, your size/inseam, what's your strength? If you do the research, you really can't go wrong with what most people are using. 800 for a used yak should get you into a lot of yak. Go for roto-molded and avoid the blow molded stuff you get at big boxes. Good luck. Scott

Most of my fishing is done on the south shore of Long Island, back bays, tidal creeks, and areas around inlets.

How critical is body size / weight? I weigh less than 200lbs. and my height is just over 6'.

Thanks,

Gary

You should take a rider out to the kayak shops like Capt Kayak in Savville. He has test kayaks there of all kinds. I think it's like 20 to test them out to get a feel for what you feel comfortable in. If you buy from himhe credits you the test ride back. He's a nice guy always ready to give you information and tips whether or not you're buying. Don't just get anything because the price is right and its used, make sure it's what you will be comfortable in while using it.

Agree with Andy, Get to CK try a few with your budget you should be fine. Take into consideration how it handles out of the water as well as in. Because if its a pain to get to the water you will never use it. Good luck and as they say "Welcome to the Dark Side"

Thanks guys, I just got back from Capt. Kayak's store.

I picked up a used Quest at a good price and also have the peace of mind of

dealing with a reputable place.

Sometimes things just come together. I gave the store a call this morning and an hour later I was taking a test paddle down the canal.

I knew I was in the right place when I ran into two of my fishing club's members there.

The info and support on this site is great .

View PostSometimes things just come together. I gave the store a call this morning and an hour later I was taking a test paddle down the canal.

I knew I was in the right place when I ran into two of my fishing club's members there.

The info and support on this site is great .

I have a Quest too. Good choice.smile.gif

Now I just have to build and buy all the gear that goes with the kayak.

First a decent PFD, a rack for the truck, a cart.

At least I have the tackle covered.(for now anyway)

We just never seem to have enough '' stuff " !