Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Cole Slaw Lasts For Weeks, But......

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

When you make it with both red and green cabbage, the purple bleeds a lot........redface.gif

I can just hear the complaints now.......

"This is left over from last weekend, and you want me to EAT it?"

shakehead.gif

View PostI won't eat slaw if it's more than 3 days old.

Hope you never buy it in the super......it is at least 3 days old before it even gets there.....

And besides, ain't much that can spoil in slaw if it is kept cold.....cabbage, carrots, spices, vinegar and mayo.......if anything, it gets better with age....

Rav....Pick it out?.....cwm13.gif....I think you miss the point here.....the red cabbage bleeds into everything after a few days, and now the entire thing is a shade of, well, Arby would say mauve.....not a particularly appealing color to the eye, but it still tastes good......icon14.gif

View PostI won't eat slaw if it's more than 3 days old.

It usually takes 2-3 days to taste excellent. At least thats the way I always felt. The leftover cole slaw seems to taste better.

View PostIt usually takes 2-3 days to taste excellent. At least thats the way I always felt. The leftover cole slaw seems to taste better.

Exactly.

The period cole slaw will hold is somewhat dependent on the type of cabbage used. There are 2 types that come to market. One type is known as white cabbage, the other is called green. The white cabbage is grown locally in NY and in Quebec. It is stored for months, is very white, and is trimmed of all the wrapper leaves when it comes to market. It is hard as a rock and requires some serious machines to shred it. They shred core and all. It's harvested in Oct, Nov, and Dec and depending on the year can be held through June or July. The heads typically weigh 5-10lbs each. This is the type primarily used for slaw and sauerkraut. Processors all have their secret sauces to extend the shelf life, but would be good for a month if it doesn't have a bunch of other stuff in it. The slaw with chemicals will last for months under refrigeration. Sometimes white cabbage is sold retail w the wrapper leaves on when the green cabbage is very expensive or unavailable during the winter.

The green cabbage is primarily used as a vegetable steamed or whatever. In the east green cabbage comes from TX, FL, GA, SC, NC, NJ, NY, and Quebec. The heads are only half as large as white cabbage and are soft and fluffy. The leaves are green virtually to the core. When used in slaw this type of cabbage first turns soft and gets watery in a matter of 3 or 4 days. Then it turns sour a day or so after that.

View PostThe period cole slaw will hold is somewhat dependent on the type of cabbage used. There are 2 types that come to market. One type is known as white cabbage, the other is called green. The white cabbage is grown locally in NY and in Quebec. It is stored for months, is very white, and is trimmed of all the wrapper leaves when it comes to market. It is hard as a rock and requires some serious machines to shred it. They shred core and all. It's harvested in Oct, Nov, and Dec and depending on the year can be held through June or July. The heads typically weigh 5-10lbs each. This is the type primarily used for slaw and sauerkraut. Processors all have their secret sauces to extend the shelf life, but would be good for a month if it doesn't have a bunch of other stuff in it. The slaw with chemicals will last for months under refrigeration. Sometimes white cabbage is sold retail w the wrapper leaves on when the green cabbage is very expensive or unavailable during the winter.

The green cabbage is primarily used as a vegetable steamed or whatever. In the east green cabbage comes from TX, FL, GA, SC, NC, NJ, NY, and Quebec. The heads are only half as large as white cabbage and are soft and fluffy. The leaves are green virtually to the core. When used in slaw this type of cabbage first turns soft and gets watery in a matter of 3 or 4 days. Then it turns sour a day or so after that.

headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

I have used only the green stuff I have kept it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. No problem. Maybe I have never noticed before because I use buttermilk in my recipe.wink.gif

View PostHope you never buy it in the super......it is at least 3 days old before it even gets there.....

My wife makes a simple recipe. She makes a dressing of some mayo, little milk, salt, pepper, white vinegar, whisks together and tosses in a pre shredded bag-o-slaw. Viola. By the 3rd..perhaps 4th day it's gotten just a little slim coat on it and is a little wet and mushy, it's done. It generally doesn't last that long, but no way I'd eat it, at least the way we make it at home, after a week.

I prefer it crispy.

I like the pre shredded slaw too but I wont make any more than what I'm gonna eat that day.I leave out the vinegar because it will turn sour after a day.Mayo,Sugar,Sweet pickle relish and salt and pepper.Thats it.And it only takes a couple of hours for the flavors to blend not three days.