Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sufrangler

My surf setup need opinions

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

This is my setup

1) Diawa Sealine SLS902MHFS surf rod 9ft 2pc fast action line rating 17-40lb lure wt rating 1-6oz

2)Reel Diawa Emcast sport 5000 23oz

I want to use it for spoon fishing from the surf will this setup be too heavy for constant spinning ? I also have thought of changing reel to cabelas salt striker 50 and replace mono with braid if the reel is too heavy !! I have no surf fishing experience !!

That should be fine, I wouldnt bother replacing that Daiwa with a Cabelas brand reel. My 2c.

You could always put fireline on the Daiwa. But I would wait until I was throwing mono in the surf vey comfortably before going over to braid, as FL or braid mistakes are more costly.

The salt striker --metal version-- is actually a very smooth, tough as nails reel, I like it except for its ugly white color. You can also get it on sale if you are lucky for $50. It is a nice size that is very hard to find in a spinning reel as they tend to jump from 14 oz or so to 20+ oz.

Can't answer the line capacity question. I've never actually had a reel hold it's stated line capacity. It's usually less.

To answer the reel question, if it works for you keep on fishing. I've used the Penn 7500ss (25oz) on a 9'6" Allstar (1-3oz. blank) without issues. At the end of the day though I could definitely feel it in my shoulders. Now I'm using a Shimano Spheros 8000FA (20oz) with that rod. The lighter reels seems to balance better with the rod.