As a new member I'm curious

Rate this topic

Got Stripers

where the majority of the membership is from and what the prefered method of catching stripers is. I haven't had the time to go back and read much of the threads, but it looks like most are from NJ (won't hold that against you, lol) or NY, with the majority being shore fisherman.

Any guys on the board from up my way, Massachusetts or as I like to call it Taxachusetts, lol? Years ago, before getting a boat, I used to surfcast exclusively. I'm getting old and lazy and like going to the fish, rather than the reverse. Striped my old 1987 Basstracker Tournament V17 down to a bare hull about 3 years ago and spent the winter under cover converting it into a center console, just to make it even easier on myself. Of course the rotting and water soaked decks had something to do with it. Came out pretty good, pic on my bragging board www.rgsiroisco.com/braggingboard.htm if your curious. Love to get into a bigger Lund or something, but keep missing the damn lotery numbers, lol.

Anyway still trying to get a feel for the board and curious where everyone is from. For me, I'm a plastic jerk bait nut, pour all my own baits and of my own (actually my brother-in-laws) design. Also a custom rod builder and if I could figure out a way to build my own reel, I'd do that too, lol.

Tight lines.

[This message has been edited by Got Stripers (edited 07-26-2000).]

As you can see, I'm from up your way, though I was raised in NJ. Now live in Foxboro. I either go with my friend Dave on his boat in Boston Harbor (that only happens 3-4 times a year) or else I spend time at Powder Point in Duxbury. Will occasionally go to the canal, usually Scusset Beach. And, I try to make two trips to Jersey, one in May and another in November. And of course, an annual 2 week vaca on Hatteras Island. For stripers, I mostly chunk, but will throw metal and jigs most everytime I go as well. And if the beach at Powder Point doesn't cooperate (bad tide, etc.) I will do the bridge. When I do that, I always bring the light tackle for sea worms as well, just in case there are any flounder, tautog or eels (yum!) around.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Yo, Got - I'm from the Great state of Mass.

I fish the canal, mostly, and the wild beaches of Wellfleet thru P-Town in the Fall. Couldn't get me out in a boat though, just never developed a hankering for it after many,many , too many trips. I might rethink this attitude in August when the exotics show up off Nantucket. This is a great site. Tim and Dubs are the best. Maybe you could inform them of the license requirements for lobstering in Mass.

Got Stripers -

Welcome! Yup...I'm from Bassachusetts as well. Live in Shrewsbury (Just outside Worcester) Fish Race Point mostly & the back beaches. Trying to learn the Canal....very difficult. I'll take the nice, sandy beaches anyday over those da*n rocks wink.gif In fact, headed down to the Race on Friday. Been a long time. Working too much and my fishing partner just started the Police Academy so it's back to fishin' alone frown.gif

------------------

Bob Thomas

RThomas61@aol.com

Bob Thomas
SOL#162

Welcome to the site Got Stripers, we have many fine fisherman reporting and contributing from Mass, you'll find our little home here quite informative. biggrin.gif

I myself am from Joisey, yous got a problem wit dat biggrin.gif, just kidding, but you will often find Tim and I up in your neck of the woods harrassing your fish, especially in the Ditch. biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard, and JP ssshhhhhh on the Lobstah thingy. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs

AKA: Charlie

Got Stripers, I'm from the (now) jetty-less state of NJ, about midway between Island Beach State Park and Sandy Hook...1 mile to the suds. There is actually a very good mix of folks, we have regulars from Maine to Virginia...and North Carolina...and every where in between. And also a good mix of talents, some fly guys, some boat guys, some bait guys, some lure guys...and some guys that just refuse to pick one! wink.gif

Me, I try to do it all different ways with my heart being mostly in the fly rod...but a close second would be throwing artificials and rigged eels. You caught me as a "new thing" has recently caught my interest, capture/care/fishing of calico crabs....be patient, I'll be back to my non-bait fishing ways shortly wink.gif

Welcome, I'm sure you'll fit right in!

TimS

(PS: And I'm aware, JP, that there are some silly permits required to harvest yer lobstahs! biggrin.gif)

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Southern Dela-Where? smile.gif Jetties are my favorite digs. And as you might have guessed by my handle I fish almost exclusively with clams and fish heads! wink.gifrolleyes.gifeek.gif

'Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.' Mark Twain

Got Stipers,Mass and R.I have been my stomping ground for fishing for over 60 years.We have managed to fish and catch from shore about any species that at one time that were abundant from the coastline. I have tried to share these experieces with other as was shared by others to me. If you have any questions and If I can help you pleese feel free to ask away. I will say that I still am learning how to fish as each day is different. The saltwater angler needs to adjust there thinking process to continue to catch fish in todays declining resource. Be open in your approach and try something new to remain succesful. For now my time is mainly spent in the big ditch and even with over 50 years fishing the canal,I learn something different every day. When it comes to fishing the canal,in my opinion,because of the many changes that occur,we really do not have any experts,just those that think they are. Angler

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

I'm currently living in Lawn Guyland (known to da rest of da woild as Long Island) by way of Rhody and South Plymouth, Mass. I've been fishing the Canal for about half as long as Angler #1, hence the "Ditch Jigger" handle. I still try to get up there as often as possible, which isn't often enough with job and family responsibilities.

I'll fish any method there is over the course of a season, but throwing jigs into current is absolutely my favorite way to fish. Fortunately, we have some inlets hereabouts that remind me enough of the Canal to give me the fix I need. Oh yeah, I've been known to toss an eel, too wink.gif

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Got Stripers. I live in between the Barnegat and Manasquan inlets,in a normally sleepy town of Lavallette.In the summer the population grows by 1000%,and is made up mostly of flashlight addects,overzelous rentacops,and bad drivers(with some serious eye candy,to make it bareable)I prefer to castplugs and teasers,but will dunk bait a few times a year.Fall is cast net season,I enjoy netting almost as much as fishing.Seems everything eats live mullett& bunker, it isn't really bait fishing smile.gifMost of my fishing is local,with an annual trip to the outer banks.

Welcome aboard,we got a good crew here

------------------

Rick