Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CTaylor

Black Heart Procession

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I got the "fever" BAD!!! Just sitting around tying and listening to some new and old tunes...Bon Iver's got me in a somber mood...i'm starting to see some cracks in the Winter...madness has set in.

Materials:

Does it really matter...

Black_Heart_Procession_1.jpg

Black_Heart_Procession_2.jpg

wow, I continue to be amazed by your flies and your affinity for ostrich. As a matter of fact I think I will get me some of them Rhea feathers and apply them to my musky flies

Top fly first, pic, same as bottom Fly second pic? My fav of the group. The hang-up I have with palmering the ostrich is the bulk it generates. Even when stripped. Great for increasing the acoustic profile of your flies, no doubt.

I have discovered a rhea feather of comparable size when stripped is much more sparse when palmered and still generates the big profile (wide, tall, whatever...). I'm wondering what incorporating ostrich collars could do for a pattern of this sizeheadscratch.gif.

Nice lines on the bottom fly BTW. Great transitional flow of materials throughout the fly for a sleek profile. What's the hook, 911S?

Thanks for sharing.

View PostAre they supposed to look like fish? tongue.gif

Only if you have a brain the size of a peanut....wink.gif

View PostTop fly first, pic, same as bottom Fly second pic? My fav of the group. The hang-up I have with palmering the ostrich is the bulk it generates. Even when stripped. Great for increasing the acoustic profile of your flies, no doubt.

I have discovered a rhea feather of comparable size when stripped is much more sparse when palmered and still generates the big profile (wide, tall, whatever...). I'm wondering what incorporating ostrich collars could do for a pattern of this sizeheadscratch.gif.

Nice lines on the bottom fly BTW. Great transitional flow of materials throughout the fly for a sleek profile. What's the hook, 911S?

Thanks for sharing.

Correct, first fly is same as bottom...Bottom pick is the progression of tying, finally got the taper to what I wanted in the bottom one. I like ostrich collars in front of the palmered rhea...they add a little bulk to the fly with minimal weight...I think they look a little better with a thin ostrich collar than just the rhea, but that is more aestheticlly pleasing to me...the fish probably don't care too much. I do alot of my fishing at night and, for the most part, usually use bulkier patterns because of the "acoustics". I like sparse patterns for daylight, clear water days. It really comes down to personal preferences I quess.

Hook is Mustad s74ss 3/0

...A better look at some detail of these flies.

M. Sax...this shows the ostrch and rhea head a little better, there are about 2 wraps of a stripped ostrich feather...I like how it transitions into the rhea.

JerryC.C.

Mustad S74SS 3/0

Clump of BT

2 saddles tied Deceiver style

Body Braid

BT hollow tie

2 saddles tented

5-6 pieces of flashabou

Estaz and palmered rhea

Small clump BT reverse tied

2 saddles tented

Ostrich collar

Ostrich and peacock herl tied reverse

JC eyes

bunker_1.jpg

bunker_2.jpg

bunker_3.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone...I really appreciate it...this site is the best!!

biggrin.gif

I am so glad I know what you truck looks like. I am even happier with the fact that at the fling last fall I made a clay imprint of one of your truck keys, so I can get in and ho some of those beauties while you are busy fishing wink.giftongue.gif .

Nice work Chris icon14.gif .

Alan