Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

What kind of shark is this?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Here's a picture from back in April of 1990. I took a trip to the OBX and fished a pier which I think was either in Buxton or Avon. I caught this shark amist a bunch of smooth dogfish (sand sharks). As you can see it's very small, basically the same size as the sand sharks I was catching. The only real difference was that this one had teeth. In fact, I don't know how well you can see it in this pic, but when I first landed this shark, I put it down on the pier deck next to a plastic bag that had bait in it...and it bit the plastic and woudn't let go - So I ripped the bag away the best I could for the picture but left a small piece there....

Anyway, an ID would be appreciated...

View PostHere's a picture from back in April of 1990. I took a trip to the OBX and fished a pier which I think was either in Buxton or Avon. I caught this shark amist a bunch of smooth dogfish (sand sharks). As you can see it's very small, basically the same size as the sand sharks I was catching. The only real difference was that this one had teeth. In fact, I don't know how well you can see it in this pic, but when I first landed this shark, I put it down on the pier deck next to a plastic bag that had bait in it...and it bit the plastic and woudn't let go - So I ripped the bag away the best I could for the picture but left a small piece there....

Anyway, an ID would be appreciated...

it looks like a sand tiger shark

I thought we established that it was either a black tip or sharp nose... There's no way its a sand tiger cause its dorsal fin is too big. Look at a pic of a sand tiger and you'll see that its dorsal is small compared to many other sharks.

Can you recall if there was a ridge along the backbone between the dorsal and tail, or was it just smooth...makes all the difference in determining what it is/was.

View PostCan you recall if there was a ridge along the backbone between the dorsal and tail, or was it just smooth...makes all the difference in determining what it is/was.

You mean like a keel ridge as you would see on mako sharks, jacks, tunas, etc? If so, I don't think it had that, although it's been a while

View PostYou mean like a keel ridge as you would see on mako sharks, jacks, tunas, etc? If so, I don't think it had that, although it's been a while

I was actually referring to the ridge on it's back, not the side/keel. It's the interdorsal ridge, between the dorsal and tail, like a keel but it's directly on top, like a spine would be...brown (sandbar) sharks and dusky's have it, spinners and blacktips do not. I think that might be the sharpnose though if I had to bet.