Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nightfighter

Cracked ceiling solution

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Ceiling cracks are a ****** to repair without a call back... Used a product today that looks like the cat's pyjamas. Krack Kote. Paint it on the crack, 2-3 inches either side, roll out their super thin fiber tape, apply coat over it, use their straight edge to remove excess and smooth. Done. Ready to sand or paint within two hours. It is not easily sanded, about the same as epoxy. But it gives a flexible bond to the joint, in case the house moves again. Even has the word "guaranteed" on the can in bold print. Thin coat of JC tomorrow and it's all done. Just wanted to pass it along.

Ross

Yes. Designed to be used on plaster too. Website had more installation info than the package....headscratch.gif So I may feather with the product itself, without the tape. This bridges the crack, does not fill it.headscratch.gif search krack kote.

I've used it. I personally don't like it.

It is more likely to work on plaster, as long as it's otherwise sound. On drywall I've had poor results.

If somethings making the drywall move, the crack will open back up again.

It's been a while since i've used it though.

Try it, and let us know if it's still holding up in 6 months or a year.

DanJ,

I put a second coat on this morning and it came out buffed! Feathered the edges with JC before lunch and sponged smoth before I left. Looks as good as plaster. It was easier to work with than JC. Now to see how it holds up... It is in my brother's kitchen, so I will know if it cracks again...within moments if it happens.

Dan, good bday... two years to the day after mine. My gf says being a virgo makes for a good finish carpenter.

View PostDanJ,

I put a second coat on this morning and it came out buffed! Feathered the edges with JC before lunch and sponged smoth before I left. Looks as good as plaster. It was easier to work with than JC. Now to see how it holds up... It is in my brother's kitchen, so I will know if it cracks again...within moments if it happens.

Dan, good bday... two years to the day after mine. My gf says being a virgo makes for a good finish carpenter.

Night, no doubt you were able to make it look like a million bucks when you were done. Whether it holds up over time is the issue - I used the stuff years ago, (early 90's) to try to solve a crack problem that ordinary drywall tape didn't seem to be able to permanently fix. Followed all the directions, etc.

It held up for less than a year before the cracks came back. Hope you have better results than that.

BTW, you share the same birth date as one of my brothers. I think it must be a New Years thing - if'n ya know what I mean.wink.gifbeers.gif