Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

making a mold from bondo?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Plaster of paris is often used to make molds for pouring soft plastic baits.

Is there any reason why bondo couldn't be used? I've used it on eel rig molds in the past. Considering I was pouring molten lead into it, it worked fine. I would think hot plastic would work too.

Any thoughts?

View PostPlaster of paris is often used to make molds for pouring soft plastic baits.

Is there any reason why bondo couldn't be used? I've used it on eel rig molds in the past. Considering I was pouring molten lead into it, it worked fine. I would think hot plastic would work too.

Any thoughts?

The only problem you might have is if the Bondo melts your model. Bondo gets as hot as a $2 pistol while curing, stinks too. To have it capture all the details of the model, mix it with Bondo Resin, or just use Bondo Resin for the mold.

My preference is RTV Silicone, hands down. In the long run, it'll give you the best results by far.

Google RTV silicone on Ebay.

View Postdoes it have to be high heat rtv ?

No, regular RTV can handle temps up to about 400 with no problems. Handling soft plastic is no problem. If you make a POP "mother mold", you can make many copies of your original mold, which will allow you to make many pieces at once. Here's a batch of molds I made for a candy maker, all from the same original mold.

What are you looking to make?

Mike P

DSCF0003-1.jpg