Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hannibal

PVC Kayak Cart Pics

20 posts in this topic

Since it's come up a few times lately, I decide to post some pics of my latest build. After building a cooler based livewell, it got to the point that moving my kayak (OK Big Game) was becoming a HUGE task. It weighs a ton as it is - let alone rigged up.

I wanted something strong and something that could be easily put together and taken apart and stored inside the hull. I used another posters idea (from another site - I will try to find his name to give him due credit).

Everything cost WELL under $100 though I didn't save the receipt as I didn't plan to do a big build write up. Could have been far less but I seriously overpaid on the tires (by accident). Probably took 90 minutes to make.

Building it is relatively simple. The pics should be fairly self explanitory for the most part. Feel free to ask any questions if need be and parts or process.

102_0375.jpg

102_0376.jpg

102_0378.jpg

102_0379.jpg

102_0380.jpg

102_0381.jpg

102_0382.jpg

102_0385.jpg

102_0384.jpg

102_0369.jpg

I have a question for you....How are you keeping the piece of all-thread centered within the pice of PVC? I have a cart very similar but the "axel" part issomething that is giving me problems

View Postsweet job but dont carts cost 100 bux?

The wheels are the biggest expense. Mine cost under $100 and that was with spending nearly $50.00 on wheels (don't ask - lets just say there was some confusion over pricing). Point being, if you are a little frugal on your wheel purchase, you can keep the cart price way down. The rest of the stuff is rather inexpensive.

View PostI have a question for you....How are you keeping the piece of all-thread centered within the pice of PVC? I have a cart very similar but the "axel" part issomething that is giving me problems

Up against the tees on each end, I installed 1.5" pvc hubs (I believe they are called). They were something like 1.5" x 3/4". It was a piece that slipped inside the one end of the tee and had a smaller hole (~3/4") on its face. This allowed me to slip the threaded rod through and provide some stability. I then placed a washer on the rod up against the hub and to that I screwed on a nylon nut. This basically allowed me to center the rod against the length of the pvc axle cover. This also prevented it from moving horizontally. With the wheels placed on - I screwed on a standard hex nut and a washer to retain the wheels. I haven't pulled it around over too far of a distance so I am hoping the nut won't back itself off. If it does, I will have to drill a small hole and install a pin to keep it from moving. You may be able to see the layout with the closeup pic of the axle/wheel connection.

View Postget your whhels at harbor freight next time...on sale, i think you can get the same ones for 3.99 each.

Thanks - good to know. I want to build another for my OK Prowler 13. It needs to a bit narrower.

View Postdoes the cart weigh down the front of the yak

I wouldn't think so. If this BG is just like my other one (I assume it is), I always felt it could benifit from a little weight up front anyhow. Additionally, one of my main reasons for building this cart was to help haul my kayak down to the water with it loaded. That includes an 8+ gallon portable livewell setup I built. By the time that gets full of water, I could use the extra weight up front. Just an estimate, I am guessing it all weighs approx. 10lbs.

View PostUp against the tees on each end, I installed 1.5" pvc hubs (I believe they are called). They were something like 1.5" x 3/4". It was a piece that slipped inside the one end of the tee and had a smaller hole (~3/4") on its face. This allowed me to slip the threaded rod through and provide some stability. I then placed a washer on the rod up against the hub and to that I screwed on a nylon nut. This basically allowed me to center the rod against the length of the pvc axle cover. This also prevented it from moving horizontally. With the wheels placed on - I screwed on a standard hex nut and a washer to retain the wheels. I haven't pulled it around over too far of a distance so I am hoping the nut won't back itself off. If it does, I will have to drill a small hole and install a pin to keep it from moving. You may be able to see the layout with the closeup pic of the axle/wheel connection.

Thanks for the info will be stopping at Lowes on the way home

not a great photo:

251.JPG

1. wheels broken off a playschool cart found dumpster diving

2. steel rod from home depot

3. steel rod caps from home depot

4. pvc 1/4 inch from home depot cut to 2 inches shorter than rod

5. connect rod to 1st wheel and cap it

6. slide pvc over conneceted rod

7. slide cut pool noodle over pvc (noodle from dumpster diving)

8. slide other wheel on

9. cap other wheel

10. put kayak over cart

11. hook bungee under one side of cart --> over kayak --> under other side

12. works for me smile.gif

Thanks for the pictures, I need to get working on my cart. I have almost all the pieces, except for the axle/washer/nut part. I couldn't find a big enough rod cwm27.gif at home depot. I think I was looking for something like 36", but they had only 24" or 30". I'll check again or hit up lowes...