Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmerc

Loran C Question

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I just acquired an old Apelco Loran C unit model # DXL 6510. I was able to DL the user manual but it doesnt answer my question. I have also searched for hours on the net but cant find a straight answer so I figuered if anyone knew it would be someone here. I want to hook the unit up in my boat so I can check out the great spots that are stored on the unit. I have the unit hooked up and working and also have the coupler mounted, well almost mounted anyway. I need the fiberglass whip antenna that mounts to the coupler. I cant find an antenna specificaly for the Loran C application and was wondering if a VHF or any other type whip antenna would work. Thanks in advance for the help, John

View PostI just acquired an old Apelco Loran C unit model # DXL 6510. I was able to DL the user manual but it doesnt answer my question. I have also searched for hours on the net but cant find a straight answer so I figuered if anyone knew it would be someone here. I want to hook the unit up in my boat so I can check out the great spots that are stored on the unit. I have the unit hooked up and working and also have the coupler mounted, well almost mounted anyway. I need the fiberglass whip antenna that mounts to the coupler. I cant find an antenna specificaly for the Loran C application and was wondering if a VHF or any other type whip antenna would work. Thanks in advance for the help, John

Shakespeare #173

4ft retails for under 20$ smile.gif

Great idea btw wink.gif

View PostGentlman, don't forget under our new commander and cheif LORAN is going away 2010, thanks Obama.

Don't blame Obama - LORAN's demise was set in place long before 2009.

View PostAll I need is enough time to get to the spots and save them on my GPS.

If you have some saved Loran coordinates most "good" GPS's can recalibrate the Loran to GPS.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think there is free software on the internet that does the same thing!

Hi Two possibilities. I believe I Have a loran C antenae in the far out storage of my back yard (read that behind the fence0, and I have a program that will convert if I can puill it off an old machine. Let me know if you would like the antena, (it is off a North Star) the price is right, just pick it up. Casey Ghee

I just acquired an old Apelco Loran C unit model # DXL 6510. I was able to DL the user manual but it doesnt answer my question. I have also searched for hours on the net but cant find a straight answer so I figuered if anyone knew it would be someone here. I want to hook the unit up in my boat so I can check out the great spots that are stored on the unit. I have the unit hooked up and working and also have the coupler mounted, well almost mounted anyway. I need the fiberglass whip antenna that mounts to the coupler. I cant find an antenna specificaly for the Loran C application and was wondering if a VHF or any other type whip antenna would work. Thanks in advance for the help, John[/quo

I have an Interphase Pilot II Loran, and use a Magellan whip purchased from boat us. It works fine.

Do you know where I might find the coupler. Need one for a 2nd loran I have without a coupler.

Have not read anything about phasing out Loran again. I have a Loran that is so easy to use, hate to part with it. Guess I have to figure out how to use my Chart Plotter.. Any Whip antenna works fine.

Anyone have a extra coupler???

View PostIf my memory serves me correctly, I think there is free software on the internet that does the same thing!

Yes, there is. No need to drive to the spots just let mathemeatics do it for you.

View PostYes, there is. No need to drive to the spots just let mathemeatics do it for you.

Tried that software when I converted to GPS some years back. Unless someone really improved the results - good luck finding anything smaller than a sunk super tanker.