Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepid 24

EPIRB's....

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

View Postcan anyone recomend a particular brand, what do the smaller sized ones cost ?

A PERSONAL Locator Beacon "PLB" can be had for around $300 or so. The better EPIRB's start around $500 and go up from there. If you'll only need one once in a while then you can rent them from BOATUS.

As far as what brand, ACR or McMurdo come to mind. You may want to start here:

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/fin...39/default.htm

Ken

Keep in mind that some of the lower end ones may take hours to notify the appropiate agencies. If our high and dry that may be OK. If your in he water its a different story.

I havent looked at any for a while and hey have some nice portabale units around these days. It wasnt long ago that some of the smaller units could take up to 18 hours.

There is a class rating on them.

The ACR Aquafix 406 is a common PLB and has two versions. One with a external GPS interface which means you have to have it plugged into a GPS to transmit your GPS coordinates to rescures and it retails for around 450$. The other model has an internal GPS and can be used alone. It retails for just under 600$. Its a lot of cash but I would go with the more expensive model. These things will save your butt!

View PostKeep in mind that some of the lower end ones may take hours to notify the appropiate agencies. If our high and dry that may be OK. If your in he water its a different story.

I havent looked at any for a while and hey have some nice portabale units around these days. It wasnt long ago that some of the smaller units could take up to 18 hours.

There is a class rating on them.

That is incorrect the Mcurdo plb which is the lowest price and what I own sends out the excact same signals at the excact same power level of the biggest bulkiest most expensive Epirb. The difference is the big epirbs have enough power for 3 or 4 days while the plb battery lasts from 24 to 48 hours. Within 20 minutes of activation a chopper will be wrming up at Atlantic City airport and will be on its way to you a few minutes later. The chopper pilots are all surfers and shop in my store all the time. The have clarified for me the biggest misconception about epibs. They do not use GPS signals to find you. You will not be found any faster if you spend twice the price for a epirb/plb with gps. The 406kz siganl goes right to satelite and the stelite locates you to within two miles. That info is imediatly sent to a center that calls your phone number to see where you are at the same time they have notified Coast Guard to get ready. If you are a hunter lost in the woods it is the air force who gets notified and comes for you. If they dont get you on the phone or your wife says you went out fishing early this morning and have not returned they are coming.

As they get closer to you they pick up the 121kz signal your epirb is also transmitting. They have equipment on board to tune in on that signal and come right to you. If its night they can actualy see your bodheat.

A large boat went down last year off a Delaware after hitting a whale. Their epirb was down below in a ditch bag. 6 guys spent two days crammed in a 5 man lifejacket in big seas. Get a plb. A mcurdo fastfind comes with a neoprene fanny pack. I run out to 45 miles on a 21 footer by myself. my plb gets strapped around my waist as I head out the inlet. My biggest fear is falling overboard when by myself with the boat in gear. Id rather have my plb and be swimming then a liveboat and my epirb has just sunk to the bottom of the ocean in a ditchbag.

The AC Coastie pilots tell me they would pick me up within an hour tops if I am 30 miles out.

Just remember that with the bigger roof mounted units with the hydrostatic release the boat has to sink like 15' under water before the release kicks in and lets the EPIRB float free to the surface and activate. How many small boats sink down that far if at all? they usually flip over and float so i'd get one of the personal units and keep it strapped to me at all times or real handy to grab if needed.