Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deebee

Buying a used vehicle

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

If you buy a car from a private seller in New Jersey, and a reduced sales price is entered on the title, does the motor vehicle office honor that price for sales tax purposes?headscratch.gif

View PostIf you buy a car from a private seller in New Jersey, and a reduced sales price is entered on the title, does the motor vehicle office honor that price for sales tax purposes?headscratch.gif

DMV only collects sales tax for the state. Transactions are subject to audit by the state Treasury/Tax people.

When you say reduced sales price, are you saying to put less on the title than what you actually paid? headscratch.gif

View PostDMV only collects sales tax for the state. Transactions are subject to audit by the state Treasury/Tax people.

When you say reduced sales price, are you saying to put less on the title than what you actually paid? headscratch.gif

Yes

If the "price" you enter on the Title looks rediculous the MVC will looik up the book value and charge you that. Be careful it will blow up in your face.

You should have a receipt from the seller, the amount is yours and the sellers business. With or without the receipt, if the selling price is below book value, the State will ask for proof of purchase, thus the receipt from the seller to prove there is honor among thieves. wink.gif

Or if you want to risk doing 10-15 for sales tax evasion and the seller doesn't want any part of being complicit, you can pay half in cash and half by bank check, the half by bank check is your receipt.

As a seller, I don't care what the buyer does, but I don't sign anything that involves me being part of avoiding taxes. As a buyer, I grumble and groan but I pay the tax.

Its just not worth the trouble.

View Postbuy cash and enter a reasonable amount or they blue book ya

Whats reasonable?

They sent me a tax due bill for a car I bought with cash last year and if they'd give me what they said it was worth I would have handed them the keys and made a quick 5 K profit.

Highlander has good advice, have a receipt if needed.

(i was just reply to multiple threads to make bobs sticky request sink resulting in inevitible fail)

good point there ed headscratch.gif its quite the condom