Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dutchjigger

do topwater jigs exist?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

hello

i was wondering are there jigs who dont dive deep ?

something like a topwater jig

as i fish in rocky surf water i need a jog that doesnt dive deep

ore is it me who needs to learn how to keep the jig high in teh water collum

thanks!

There are many "surface" jigs. They are heavily used in southern california and mexico. Tady, Ironman, salas are the names of a few manufacturers.

Tady 45 is very well suited for fishing for stripers on the "surface".

Google floating jigheads. I have a few (can't remember the manufacturer) and the head is made of foam and painted over. Use to pop bass assassins on the surface with them. You can also make them yourself with a float and hook of your choice.

As Rock mentioned, I've seen pics of bass assassins that were rigged/fitted with a cork popping head. A few years ago, there was a guy who created a popping 7" assassin to fish the Susky flats. It looked like a pretty cool idea and, from what I read, it was productive. I searched **** (where the pics were posted years ago) but couldn't come up with anything. Been thinking about revisiting the idea myself.

One of the big fishing supply places (think "C") makes pretty good resin jigs with great details and eyes. Hooks are OK.

Haven't searched but I wonder if anybody on this site makes something similar.

What I like about the few I posses is- you can have a large profile jig that casts pretty good without the weight. Not a floater by any means but not an instant snag either. The type I have come with a matching shad body that has a tail like a Storm shad. Paddle tail helps it swim above the structure.

I'll have to look into the floaters mentioned.

If anybody knows how to make the resin jigs I'd like to know more so I could give it a try.

Try tying a thick clump of bucktail around some saddle hackles lashed to the hook shank of a light (1/2 or 3/4) oz jig head. Start retrieving as soon as it hits the surface. The amount of bucktail and weight of the jig head will determine how high it rides in the water column. Lighter the lead, thicker the bucktail, the higher it rides. If this doesn't do it for ya, pick up fly fishing.

I thought about it after my post and realized that I could just substitute foam for lead a la "popping bug'. You can buy the foam heads with different shaped noses. JMHO C2

View PostTry tying a thick clump of bucktail around some saddle hackles lashed to the hook shank of a light (1/2 or 3/4) oz jig head. Start retrieving as soon as it hits the surface. The amount of bucktail and weight of the jig head will determine how high it rides in the water column. Lighter the lead, thicker the bucktail, the higher it rides. If this doesn't do it for ya, pick up fly fishing.

what baldwin says

the point of a bucktail is to get down into the column; you need to find the right size/hair/trailer that will allow you to fish the lower column of your area without getting stuck on the bottom. It'll take some time and lost jigs; but you'll eventually learn the spot well and be able to fish it effectively.

You could use a 'float and fly' rig like this one. You can even use a light jig instead of the fly.

Fig-6-Saltwater-Float-Rig.gif

OR You can use a teaser fly or small jig ahead of a plug.

teaser-rig1.jpg

OR Just try various weights of jigs until you find the one that will 'swim' on a slow to moderate retrieve without hitting bottom.

Good luck,

Jon