Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TreednNC

Rainshadow SU1262

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

What do we know about this blank. Trying to see if I need to weasel it into my arsenal some how at the right pricekooky.gif . Im not a plugger, but do fish bait, metal, and some jigs on the Outer Banks of NC.

i have not tried that one yet but i have tried the su1264, su1266 and su1386 i love my su1264 for 3 oz metal and 2 oz poppers. it's the old us graphite. i added 4 inches to the butt.. i am guessing by the way my us su1264 feels, if i remember right those su1262's are all old us graphite and i think it would make a good up to 2 oz metal and buck tail/ hair razor rod maybe even work 1.5- 2 oz poppers good. i bet it would work good for live bait... for the price of those like 60 bucks or something, it may be worth it. my old us su1264 has taken a beating and has caught many stripers from the surf, a 17+ lb coho from the surf, a few halibut from the surf and quite a few 40-60 lb thresher sharks from the wharf on bait.. i think i have had it for about 4 years now. i have casted it with 3 oz metal as hard as i can.. a couple times i had user error during cast with manual bail, 50 lb braid 60 lb leader and it handled it.. zzz thud in sand..

That would be a good rod for what you want to do. I don't know how easy it is to find Batson SU blanks anymore though. These are 43 million modulus rods which IMO are perfect for a surf blank. Higher modulus is isn't needed and over rated.

Batson has changed all the Surf blanks to the SUR series and most are all two peice. They are also heavier rated then the old ##. Compared a SUR 1266 to an ALL Star is nite and day. The Batson is faster and seems that it would be a higher rating. Batson told me they have not yet rated these blanks (something they do in house). They will be doing so in coming months. It seems the blanks are heavier then what they have them rated at now.

all in all for a offsore made blank Batson has a winner series here IMO. Batson seems to have very good control over their off shore factory and the quality. something most companys don't or can't get!!

SU blanks are going to get scarce, because they will only be produced on a "special order" basis. The builder must commit to a minimum 25 blank production run, and prepay both the production and (I'm told) shipping costs.

There is one shiop up here that had a special run made of 25 each of the SU 1208 and 1209 blanks, last fall. The shop specializes in Canal rods. They plan to keep on getting them as long as there's a demand for them, but eventually guys will come across a substitute, like we've done in the past when favorite blanks passed into history. And the 1208 and 1209 will be yesterday's news frown.gif