Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yogiiiboy

Lami ratings....

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Ya know...after reading some of these posts now i'm getting worried... As an owner of two Arra Surf Pro rods, 1083 and the 1205-2, I'm wondering if i'm on the edge of breaking one! I am very responsible and take care of my equipment. BUT- As an example, provided i stay within the recommended lure range, can i snap cast the 1083 with say----a nice 1.5 ounce lure and not worry about these problems i'm reading about ?

Which guys are you listening to--the handful of guys who've actually broken one, or the crapload of guys who heard it from a guy whose brother's best friend's cousin broke his trying to lift a 15 lb fish out of the water?

You won't break a 1083 with 1.5 oz--and why do you want to "snap-cast" in the first place? You can load a 1083 with an ounce and a half, and get better distance by using a smooth cast.

You can snap a rod a lot of ways. I think someone on this site was discussing how you can create enough pressure with your cast with a lure that is well under the limit to snap the rod.

I can also tell you that if your braided line wraps around the tip in the dark and you go to give a nice whips cast the result will be a loud popping nose while coming over your shoulder.....Followed by half your rod flying into the water....Down by your plug will be the actual tip guide that pulled off because it was wrappedbeatin.gif

John

You can call B&T shops who sell these rods and find out the ratio between broken Surf and Jetty vs RA 1083 or 1084. There is one place in PP who probably will provide you with this information.

Stop worrying...just fish em.

If it does snap, call lami & I'm sure it will work out...

FWIW, my 1084 has quite a few hrs on it. And its been an absolute pleasure to fish with. One of my fav sticks.

View PostYou can call B&T shops who sell these rods and find out the ratio between broken Surf and Jetty vs RA 1083 or 1084. There is one place in PP who probably will provide you with this information.

The rods are built differently and have slightly different objectives. I am more likely to break my new Sage flyrods than my old Fenwicks, but I am not going to stop using the Sage rods because they are far nicer to cast. My Arra rod is a better casting rod than my Surf and Jetty (not that the Surf and Jetty is a a bad casting rod). It all depends on what you are looking to get out of the rod. I would bet that if you look at the Arra rod breakage, you will find that nearly all of them are in the lightest models like the 1083 because thinner rods are more susceptible to damage-induced failure. Most of the failures will come from damage or high-sticking, just like any rod. Higher performance rods will have a little higher incidence of this type of failure, just like with cars, bikes, golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc.

Keep using your Arra rods. Avoid beating them up and avoid anything that will scratch or gouge them and you will be fine (provided you don't highstick them).

View Post ..Most of the failures will come from damage or high-sticking, just like any rod. .

I agree with everything you wrote except with that sentence, I high stick surf and Jetty and other rods and they don't break....I have to be very, very careful with RA rods...I can't high stick and I can't lift 1lb fish out of the water with it.

So I definitely use them because they cast nice but telling everyone that these rods are just like any other rod....I don't think it is true...shaky.gif

High sticking.........now that you mention this......how are you supposed to set the hook on a nice fish with the Arra 1083 ? Will i not be on the borderline of a "highsticking" situation ?

Throwing 1 1/2 oz with a 1083 won't break the rod (excluding stupidity, eg., high-sticking, etc). I throw 2 oz with mine and it's fine. Lami's ratings, however, are far from accurate and even ridiculous kooky.gif . So, you just have to know your rod! biggrin.gif