Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
acupajoe

Ok finally registered to be part of this "family" of fishermen

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

It is with great pleasure to finally be a part of this forum. I have so many questions and so little time...I started fishingMay 2008. I will start of with two questions if you don't mind. Why is everything sucha secret???? I have been reading you guys for almost a year now and love the color discussions. I gots me a 19 footer in July( have great stories about that alone) and books out the wazzoo - fishing for dummies, dummies who fish etc. Why if fishing is so wonderful would the good ones not want to spread the love so that many can enjoy this fascinating sport. I have bought sooo much stuff and know I have things I probably don't need. Just getting the lingo and termanology down is painstacking. Sorry to ramble...Second If I go to one of these flea markets what is a must to buy or try to buy?

Thanks so much and I hope to learn much more and hopefully add something someday....willing to trade golf lessons for fishing HAHA

Joe

Things are secretive because its a public forum, anyone can read it. Because of this, your favor spot, shared by few, can quickly become 'everyone's favorite spot' with no room to move. Also, it is unsaid but it is true, fishing is ultra competitive. It takes many guys many years to learn what they learn, so many opt not to share details with guys who haven't worked for it. Plus some loves the feeling of catching when they know whats working, and no one else around them does.

WelcomeHappyWave.gif

1) It's not a secret if you pay attention biggrin.gif .

2) Don't go crazy "buying" on your first time out. Make sure you have some of the basics ( there's alot of good threads on that) then see what works best for you.

3) Where's your newbie joke ? or you can just send me a plug biggrin.gif

The only thing we don't openly discuss is "spots".

Do a search, there's been a lot written as to why.

Everything else from plug shapes and colors and when and where to use em, to the proper use of a white bucket, plus in depth lessons on how to read the beach, and even the proper way to troll a clambrella rig from the beach has been shared openly and honestly.

Not to mention the discussions on the best plugs and the best rods and the best baits and the best reels...........................

The only thing we don't burn is spots.

It was difficult to think of a "clean" one but this one should be ok...

A man, overweight by at least 50lbs has tried for years to take it off but to no avail. One day he sees an ad for weight loss. "lose 10lbs in one day" he calls right away. Operator says it's $100 for the program, he says sign me up I've nothing to lose at this point. He asks what do I do. Operator says program starts tomorrow morning at 7am and you will know what to do at that time.

He is very anxious and has a hard time sleeping...then at 7am "Ding Dong" who's that he wonders. He opens the door to find the most attractive brunette with barely nothing on except sneakers and a sign that says "if you catch me I'm yours" Well he ran and ran all day....not catching her but actually losing 11lbs during his pursuit.

He calls the number again and orders another day of chasing the girl. This time it's a blonde....and this time loses 12lbs. Wow he thinks this is great. He calls back to order another day, but the operator informs him of their "lose 25lbs in a day program". He thinks why the heck not sign me up. he can only imagine what will be at his doorstep the next morning..........

7am the doorbell rings....he runs to the door - opens it to find.............

a 700 lb silverbacked gorilla at the door....wearing nothing but sneakers and a sign that says "If I catch YOU your mine".....he lost the rest of his weight that day...and maybe his dignity....

Hope ya like....cause my other one was...

A man walks into a bar.....his buddy behind him ducked....sorry corny I know.

Thanks

Joe

And thanks for the responses....Lots to learn

There is no substitute for time. Dont rush it. My advice is to pick one or two presentations you are comfortable with and practice them. If you try to do it all you will end up not having a good time.

As for the secrets, most of it comes with time. They cant be told, they have to be lived. Most of our secrets were never shared from one guy to another. We share a common existence and the ones who are really out there speak the language.

Welcome and as Jerry is fond of saying; "watch each hand you play and play it slow"wink.gif

Welcome aboard!

A few words of advice. Fishing is a learned thing, and it's something you have to really learn by making your own mistakes. A big thing that helps me in the long run is to keep a log. get a little $2 spiral notebook and write down EVERYTHING. Dates and times, detailed locations, tides, wind speeds/directions, currents, structures, baits, lures, and what you caught or didn't catch. Even include what you had for lunch. Believe it or not, some foods leave enough of a residue on your hands that it influences the smell of your bait, like bananas and peaches.

Don't spend a fortune on a million plugs and different bait rigs. Do a little research and find out what is important and what is useless. There's a lot of useless crap out there.

Get a subscription to The Fisherman magazine. It costs like $30 for the year, and it is an invaluable tool in determining when you go and what you fish for. They also give popular locations and techniques. The reports section also gives you an idea of what's going on where. Best money I ever spent.

Talk to people. go to a tackle shop and just ask the people behind the counter what's hot. Most of the time they will give you some good advice, or at least a starting point that you can go from. A good tackle shop will want you to keep coming back, so they are more likely to give you good advice.

Lastly, post your experiences up here. Every time I go out I come home and write about what happened that day. That way people comment on what you did, what you did wrong, and how to do it better the next time.

Tight Lines! beers.gif

View PostThanks so much and I hope to learn much more and hopefully add something someday....willing to trade golf lessons for fishing HAHA

Joe

If I keep digging up clods of fairway, I may take you up on that redface.gif

TimS

View PostIf I keep digging up clods of fairway, I may take you up on that redface.gif

TimS

I heard they are going to contact you to put in the new sprinkler system..

They said you where half done already..tongue.gif