Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surfmaster250

?? for all you offshore guys!

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm looking to build a 80# rod and would like an opinion on roller guides. I'm looking at of course Aftco, the Stuart's and also the Winthrop's. Other then price and goods or bads with any of these?

im not a big fan of roller guides, as we do a lot more chunking, where rubber bands on the line can cause a big problem. i'll be watching this thread though.

I would honestly say that unless you have your heart set on them go with ringed guides. I have built/fished both and prefer ringed guides and prefer ringed guides. I would say hands down there is no comparison from the winthrops and any other roller guide. I have not fished or built with the winthrops yet, but they are built like tanks and you cannot get the line caught between the frame and the roller.

The WT run around $400 a set...$300 if you have wholesale connections. The AA are like $150 for black and gold IIRC. I've used the AA's on 3 rods, no problems!

View Postim not a big fan of roller guides, as we do a lot more chunking, where rubber bands on the line can cause a big problem. i'll be watching this thread though.

I agree.

Much more versatile to go w/ high quality ring guides...

View PostI'm looking to build a 80# rod and would like an opinion on roller guides. I'm looking at of course Aftco, the Stuart's and also the Winthrop's. Other then price and goods or bads with any of these?

What blank do you want to use??..The super seeker is the best right now..I would also look at the black steel ( CTSF ) & the calstar baja boomer..I'm building two boomers as 80 class rods with #4 bent butts..All black aftco W/O guides..As stated the winthrop big money I have see them I dont know if there worth the extra money...

The all American I have use on 50lb class rods I would feel "iffie" as 80lb class guides ..The foot is a little on the thin side...But they may work fine ..I like AFTCO W/O guides ..There on my rods and have yet to have any problems with them...

Good luck & catch em up.................

well Ritchie, The blank is up in the air... I have in mind either a SS-CTSF55 or 63XXH Or the Calstar baby or Jr boomer in tan or I have a line on a NOS Sabre Cal tackle made 655xh also tan. I'm just seeing what everyone thoughts are so I can get my ducks in a row. I don't build heavy boat rods like these much just mostly repair.

Seems that so far the rollers are not winning.. I might see what ring guides I would use if I go that route. though even if I use rings I might still go roller at the tip. This rod is for ME so $$ is no argument!! I just don't want to be like...."I should have used such and such instead"!